Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Anybody running an electric cutout with the OEM exhaust system???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody running an electric cutout with the OEM exhaust system???

Just was curious if anybody is running an electric cutout/cutouts (I.E. DMH) on their volvos with the stock exhaust system. I kind of like the factory system for the fact that my s80 is a luxury car, and I like it quiet for driving around town.

However, I'd like to be able to get some growly sound from the engine as well when I feel like it. A possibility was either just put it right before the cat with a dump pipe, or be a little sneaky and run some bent piping on the opposite side of the exhaust system and exiting at the same style of tip etc. to make it look like I have a dual exhaust, but one would be for quiet and the other would be for loud.

The cutout option seems like a nice and affordable exhaust upgrade option for me. I also like the idea because I live in sound-police Southern California. They'll bag you if you have aftermarket systems if they pull you over. This way, I can turn the sound right off when I want to go somewhere quietly or keep the sound police at bay.

Anyone done this before? Opinions? Suggestions? any pics or videos?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Anybody running an electric cutout with the OEM exhaust system???

ORIGINAL: HelgaTheS80

Just was curious if anybody is running an electric cutout/cutouts (I.E. DMH) on their volvos with the stock exhaust system. I kind of like the factory system for the fact that my s80 is a luxury car, and I like it quiet for driving around town.

However, I'd like to be able to get some growly sound from the engine as well when I feel like it. A possibility was either just put it right before the cat with a dump pipe, or be a little sneaky and run some bent piping on the opposite side of the exhaust system and exiting at the same style of tip etc. to make it look like I have a dual exhaust, but one would be for quiet and the other would be for loud.

The cutout option seems like a nice and affordable exhaust upgrade option for me. I also like the idea because I live in sound-police Southern California. They'll bag you if you have aftermarket systems if they pull you over. This way, I can turn the sound right off when I want to go somewhere quietly or keep the sound police at bay.

Anyone done this before? Opinions? Suggestions? any pics or videos?

Thanks!
It would be pointless. The stock exhaust is way too restrictive alone. I know a cutout will open it up more. But on a NA it wont be worth it. Just get a a mandrel bent 2.25" or 2.5" catback system with a Flowmaster or any baffled muffler. Why baffles? Because the NA's need backpressure unlike the turbo models. So a muffler with baffles will help in the NA's performance but hinder the performance on a turbo model.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what about a cut out on an 02 S60 2.4T AWD. I'd love to have the sound and the power boost.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: grand94jeep

So what about a cut out on an 02 S60 2.4T AWD. I'd love to have the sound and the power boost.
IMO it would only be worth it if you upgraded to a bigger exhaust system. 3" downpipe then the cutout then a 2.5" catback system.