1988 740 GLE throttle cables/cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 740 GLE throttle cables/cruise control

I jsut acquired the 740 GLE my mom purchased new in 1988. It only has ~40k miles on it and still runs well.

Never owned a volvo before but I have almost always done my own repair work so decided to dig in and address ac ouple of issues I am facing.

Connected to the throttle control linkage are 3 cables. one comes from the gas pedal. The second from the crusie control. The thrid goes back and down toward the transmission. This cable won't retract properly after it has been pulled out when you step on the gas. I was guessing that the spring at the transmission was bad but the cable just seems seems to go directly into the transmission fuild pan. Unfortunately the Hanyes manual doesn't seem to specific arrangement.

I would also like to try and get the cruise control working again. The vacuum servo is toast and there are several holes in the rubber gasket. It is just a matter of replacing the vacuum servo? if so is there a recommended place to purchased parts used or new? After I post this, I wll browse the forms to see if there are recommendations.

Last edited by swiftjustice44; 05-29-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

40k? "Still" runs well, hmmm... OK, the cable you speak of, is attached to the transmission, yes, and it rarely has a problem there... Are you sure it is properly attached on top, around the throttle spool? With 40k it is unlikely that the cable would be stretched...

The vacuum servo? Not sure what exactly you refer to, but a junkyard is the best place for those kind of parts...

Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

That cable to the transmission is the kickdown cable, used to tell the transmission that maybe it should consider downshifting sooner rather than later.

its possible the cable itself is somewhat corroded from disuse and age, and has too much friction so its not retracting. I've never had to mess with one, so I'm not sure what the tranny end even looks like. if its a plastic lined cable, you don't want to lubricate it, or it will swell up and get worse with time, rather you would want to replace it.

I think I'd try and disconnect the tranny end, and verify that the cam or whatever that it moves is in fact moving freely. if its stuck or not returning, it may be time for a tranny service, where they drop the pan with all the hydraulic control stuff and clean it out.

fwiw, the automatic tranny on a 740 is a AW70 or AW71, and is a Toyota transmssion, used in a number of cressida, supra, etc cars in the mid 80s. The AW71 is a heavy duty version that was used on turbo cars, the aw70 was used on non turbos, and these same trannies were used on pretty much all 240, 740, 940 models from the mid 80s til they stopped making rear wheel drive in the mid 90s.

Volvo parts are available at a lot of places, for real OEM new Volvo parts online, Tasca Parts has good prices, or there's always a pik-n-pull. for aftermarket stuff like suspension upgrades, FCP Groton and IPD USA are both good.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 AM

The kick-down cable (now that I know what it is called) was really loose at the point where it attaches to the spool. It looks like it has developed a couple of kinks that preventing it from sliding back down the tube to the tranny.

I tightened up the cable but it looks like I will have to replace the cable in the spring once it warms up and I can actually work on the vehicle. It is probably a good idea to replace the tranny fluid as I have no idea when the last time it would have been done.

The vacuum servo for the cruise controls looks like a rubber bellows about 3-4in in diameter. I went looking for the part online over the weekend and couldn't find it listed so it looks like I will have to get a hold of a volve dealer. this part doesn't look like one that would have survived well in a junk yard vehicle

Thanks

Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the prices of your stealer vs others. My stealer charges 2 to 3x as much as the stealer in Charlotte.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
no mo volvo

Originally Posted by ijourneaux
The vacuum servo for the cruise controls looks like a rubber bellows about 3-4in in diameter. I went looking for the part online over the weekend and couldn't find it listed so it looks like I will have to get a hold of a volve dealer. this part doesn't look like one that would have survived well in a junk yard vehicle

Thanks
anything the stealer has tasca parts should have, they are a stealer.

I have a VADIS here (volvo's parts DVD that the stealer parts counters use). The kickdown cable is PN 1239932 and the cruise control servo unit is 1273227. I checked the servo unit, Tasca has them for $60 (MSRP is $80)

Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
no mo volvo

ps. old car, extremely low mileage means while the mechanical parts are probably in like-new shape, things like fluids, rubbers are likely neglected.

if you haven't, I'd do a *really* thorough brake fluid flush on that car, unless you know its been done in the past 2-3 years. ditto radiator coolant. have the coolant system pressure tested, chances are pretty high there's old hoses in there, like the heater hoses under the intake manifold that are a $#@$#@ to get at, and if you start driving this car regularlly, they are highly likely to blow. Ditto, I'd probably shotgun replace all the vacuum hoses unless it looks like this has been done in the past few years. on the b230ft (turbo) there's a oil trap thing that serves as the crankcase ventilation that gets all plugged up with neglect, its also under the intake manifold where you can't hardly see it, and is connected to a hose that goes into the air path between the air cleaner and the turbo, thats worth digging out and cleaning its innards (soak it in a can of solvent).

when you change that transmission fluid, be prepared to flush several gallons through it. some folks will use cheap fluid for that flush, then drain it and fill it with good stuff. a good tranny shop might charge up to about $300 to do a complete service, which involves dropping the pan that has all the hydraulic control systems in it, and cleaning that out seperately, then inspecting everything.

treated well, these engines go 250K or more miles without any major repairs. and the 740 is a fine car, has a nice balance between comfort and handling, and excellent brakes.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

On ebay they sell those cables for $28, I just got one... The bellows for the cruise is fine to get used, cheap, at any u-pull-it jy...

Old 03-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Sorry for taking so long to get back. Appreciate the advice on the fluid changes. Will do them when it warms up. I also noted that I could bet the kickdown cable from Ebay for what seems to be a good price.

How difficult of a job is it to replace the kickdown cable?

A couple of other issues: The service light comes on when the car is started and for a short period after. Is this the check engine light or just a reminder.

Gas consumption seems high probably 15-18mpg (mostly highway)or is that about right? If high, where would be the best place to start?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 PM
no mo volvo

A b230f (non turbo) should get about 25MPG highway. maybe 27 if you're cruising for 100s of miles at 60 with cruise control.

The b230ft (turbo), good luck getting better than 20MPG on the highway on an older one, unless everything is perfect and you baby the throttle on long highway runs. I average 18mpg zipping around the county here (on the freeway for 5 miles, off again) in my 740T wagon.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Replaced the kickdown cable a couple of weeks ago. The process went relatively well. It is a pain to try and feed the calbe to the correct position but after that it is easy.