1989 240 Won't Start, no response from Lambda

  #1  
Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Default 1989 240 Won't Start, no response from self-diagnostic light [SOLVED]

So I just got this car, a 1989 240 with the B230F, a few days ago and I can't get it to fire. Initially, I got it to run by spraying starter fluid into the intake so I assumed it was a fuel pump issue. Then it randomly started up however was running extremely rough. When jumping the fuel pump straight to the battery you can hear it and fuel comes out of the fuel line when disconnected so that excludes that.

Here is where I'm at; when reading the Lambda codes the EZK (Pin 6) displays code 1-4-4. The ECU (Pin 2) does not display any code or anything for that matter. After holding the button it does not spit anything out. The 1-4-4 EZK code from what I have read seems to be no communication with the ECU so is there is an electrical fault somewhere? I thought it was the fuel pump relay and have purchased another one and will try that when it gets here, but until then I was curious if anyone had any other ideas as to what it may be?
 

Last edited by FantasticGarlic; 07-10-2019 at 02:59 PM.
  #2  
Old 07-06-2019, 02:19 AM
Former Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 37 North on the left coast
Posts: 9,995
Default

fyi, lambda refers to the oxygen sensor.

it sounds like you could have a sketchy ECU, some early LH2.4 240 ECUs were problematic. pink label or something?

there's a not-100%-complete chart of ECUs here,
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Eng...ReferenceChart
 
  #3  
Old 07-06-2019, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,042
Default

I would look at the 3 main areas and test them. The radio suppression relay fires the injectors. Get a noid light and check that the injectors are working during the ignition cycle. Next would be the Fuel Pump relay , just replace it with a new one. Also get a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Just because it has fuel coming out doesn't mean it is delivering 44 psi at the injector. Then check or replace the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) . Before you get into the CPU just do the basic investigation. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
 
  #4  
Old 07-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by pierce View Post
fyi, lambda refers to the oxygen sensor.

it sounds like you could have a sketchy ECU, some early LH2.4 240 ECUs were problematic. pink label or something?

there's a not-100%-complete chart of ECUs here,
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Eng...ReferenceChart
My mistake. Whatever that under hood code reader is called then is what I used.

Originally Posted by jagtoes View Post
I would look at the 3 main areas and test them. The radio suppression relay fires the injectors. Get a noid light and check that the injectors are working during the ignition cycle. Next would be the Fuel Pump relay, just replace it with a new one. Also, get a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Just because it has fuel coming out doesn't mean it is delivering 44 psi at the injector. Then check or replace the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) . Before you get into the CPU just do the basic investigation. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
The fuel pump relay should be here tomorrow so I'll try that once it arrives. As far as the rest of it I will run down that road after I try the relay. Would a blown relay cause the ECU to not communicate at all with the under-hood diagnostic?
 
  #5  
Old 07-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Former Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 37 North on the left coast
Posts: 9,995
Default

the fuel system relay on 240 has two halves in it, one half powers the ECU and the other half powers both fuel pumps.


there's no radio suppression relay (RSR) on a 240, thats purely a 740/940 thing. the 240 injectors get their power off the fuel system relay, and are fired by the ECU selectively grounding them.
 
  #6  
Old 07-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Default

I replaced the fuel system relay to no avail. I bought two of them so I tried both and my symptoms are the same and when I use the self-diagnostic under the hood there is still no response when I check Pin 2. Would the crank position sensor cause symptoms like this?
Additionally, there is no voltage at the #4 fuse with the ignition on and the fuel pump does not prime if that helps any.
 
  #7  
Old 07-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,042
Default

Originally Posted by FantasticGarlic View Post
I replaced the fuel system relay to no avail. I bought two of them so I tried both and my symptoms are the same and when I use the self-diagnostic under the hood there is still no response when I check Pin 2. Would the crank position sensor cause symptoms like this?
Additionally, there is no voltage at the #4 fuse with the ignition on and the fuel pump does not prime if that helps any.
If the CPS is bad you get no spark.
 
  #8  
Old 07-07-2019, 02:59 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by jagtoes View Post
If the CPS is bad you get no spark.
It will run on starter fluid so there is spark.
 
  #9  
Old 07-07-2019, 04:13 PM
Former Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 37 North on the left coast
Posts: 9,995
Default

Originally Posted by FantasticGarlic View Post
I replaced the fuel system relay to no avail. I bought two of them so I tried both and my symptoms are the same and when I use the self-diagnostic under the hood there is still no response when I check Pin 2. Would the crank position sensor cause symptoms like this?
Additionally, there is no voltage at the #4 fuse with the ignition on and the fuel pump does not prime if that helps any.

the fuel pumps are only supposed to come on about 1 second when you turn the key on, then go off until the engine turns over.

no signal at #2 could indicate the ECU is dead, or the wire from the ECU to the diagnostic block is broken.
 
  #10  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Default

I replaced the ECU with a '591'white label ECU and that fixed the problem. I now have a response of 1-1-1 from Pin 2 however, Pin 6 still gives me the 1-4-4 code for some reason. But now the car runs so we can pick away at the little things from here! Thank you, everyone, for your help.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
9 LIVES
Volvo 240, 740 & 940
21
02-17-2016 06:17 AM
volvonomore
Volvo 240, 740 & 940
6
06-18-2012 10:55 PM
davidgledhill
Volvo 260, 760 & 960
0
05-28-2012 05:56 PM
alpine
Volvo 240, 740 & 940
1
08-12-2010 04:04 PM
89240DL
Volvo 240, 740 & 940
6
03-15-2009 10:32 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 240 Won't Start, no response from Lambda


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.