1990 740 GL questions

Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1990 740 GL questions

Hi,

I just purchased a 1990 740 GL yesterday and I'm trying to figure a few things out.

1. I feel like an idiot asking this, but where is the fuse panel

2. I popped the hood and started checking all the vacum lines to make sure I replaced all the dried/cracked hoses and found a stray wire just hanging out. This wire is green with a red line on it and comes out of the firewall on the drivers side. I cannot find what it plugs into. What is this wire and where does it connect? Pictures would be nice

3. The heater core needs replaced. I have been reading and printing off step by step instructions, and they state that it takes 10 to 12 hours to replace it. Is that realistic?

4. When operating the turn signals or headlights a lightbulb with an X through it keeps lighting up and going off. All of the lights work like they should. What should I be looking for or should I ignore this?

5. The temperature gauge is off and on. What color is this wire in the engine compartment and where is the temperature sensor located?

Any/All help is much appreciated!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by itanneri
Hi,

I just purchased a 1990 740 GL yesterday and I'm trying to figure a few things out.

1. I feel like an idiot asking this, but where is the fuse panel

2. I popped the hood and started checking all the vacum lines to make sure I replaced all the dried/cracked hoses and found a stray wire just hanging out. This wire is green with a red line on it and comes out of the firewall on the drivers side. I cannot find what it plugs into. What is this wire and where does it connect? Pictures would be nice

3. The heater core needs replaced. I have been reading and printing off step by step instructions, and they state that it takes 10 to 12 hours to replace it. Is that realistic?

4. When operating the turn signals or headlights a lightbulb with an X through it keeps lighting up and going off. All of the lights work like they should. What should I be looking for or should I ignore this?

5. The temperature gauge is off and on. What color is this wire in the engine compartment and where is the temperature sensor located?

Any/All help is much appreciated!
The fuse panel is behind the ash tray. You need to take a picture of the green/red wire so we can see where it is. The X through the light bulb means one of your lights is not working. You need to see if it comes on when you step on the brakes or just when you turn the lights on. Make sure that all of the lights are bright. Sometimes there is resistance causing this to light. Check all bulbs and bulb holders. If you have the NA engine the temp sender is under the intake manifold near the front of the engine. That's all I got for now.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help!

1. Found the fuse panel.

2. Green wire with red stripe. It goes to the lamp on the underneath side of the hood. Fixed...

3. Heater core - Havent touched yet...

4. Bulb with X - It is only coming on when I operate the left turn signal. The bulb is good and it works... Should I try to clean the connection?

5. Temperature gauge was lose. fixed...

I changed the oil (Mobil Syn), replaced the plugs and plug wires today and its running really well.

BUT, I was cruising down the road and the AC stopped blowing air all of the sudden. I checked the fuses in the fuse panel (all were good). Is the blower motor relay behind the fuse panel? If so, which one? If not, where is it? Can I test the relay using a volt meter and continuity?

Is it normal for the compressor to keep kicking on every ten seconds? If not, what do I need to do?

You are probably thinking, why isnt he looking in his owners manual? The car did not come with one. I currently have a bid for one on ebay.

Thank you for your help!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by itanneri
Thanks for the help!

1. Found the fuse panel.

2. Green wire with red stripe. It goes to the lamp on the underneath side of the hood. Fixed...

3. Heater core - Havent touched yet...

4. Bulb with X - It is only coming on when I operate the left turn signal. The bulb is good and it works... Should I try to clean the connection?

5. Temperature gauge was lose. fixed...

I changed the oil (Mobil Syn), replaced the plugs and plug wires today and its running really well.

BUT, I was cruising down the road and the AC stopped blowing air all of the sudden. I checked the fuses in the fuse panel (all were good). Is the blower motor relay behind the fuse panel? If so, which one? If not, where is it? Can I test the relay using a volt meter and continuity?

Is it normal for the compressor to keep kicking on every ten seconds? If not, what do I need to do?

You are probably thinking, why isnt he looking in his owners manual? The car did not come with one. I currently have a bid for one on ebay.

Thank you for your help!
One of the left side signal bulbs are bad or have high resistance. Replace both front and rear bulbs. The AC compressor will cycle on and off if you are low on freon. Check it with a set of gages and see if you need to top off the freon. Check the blowers just by turning on the blower switch. If it works then it is not an AC problem. Also you won't find a lot of this stuff in the OM so go buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual at an auto parts store.