1991 240 SE Wagon, Turning Over a New Leaf

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 240 SE Wagon, Turning Over a New Leaf

Hi Everyone-

I have joined this forum after deciding to turn over a new leaf in the area of car ownership and maintenance. I have had my parents old '91 240 for a few years, and while I haven't been a terrible car owner, I haven't been a good one.

After just getting it back from repair for a broken timing belt & water pump, I have realized how much I love this car and want to do everything I can to keep it running for as long as possible.

The car has at least 150,000 miles on it (odometer right now reads 85,715 and I can't tell for sure when it was replaced, although I know it was. My parents claim it was replaced at around 70,000 miles, but aren't sure). In the last year or so, I haven't had any major issues besides this timing belt replacement, but I did get a new muffler put on it 2 years ago.

So my question is, what do I need to start doing/monitoring to keep this car running as long and as well as possible? I'm not necessarily looking to start doing tons of do it yourself maintenance, but if that is what I will need to do, I will sure as heck do it. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say basic tuneup, change the oil, coolant, and transmission fluid.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM

150,000 Miles? When was the timing belt done last? Sounds about time for a nice suspension overhaul, new struts, tie rods, shocks, bushings (etc), in addition with regular maintenance.
Rust prevention is another factor, as that easily claims the life of a 240 before the engine or transmission expires. The trim on a 240 can easily allow water to seep into the holes supporting it. Might be a good idea to take all that off, clean it, and possibly replace all those clips or at least the little seals to ensure a good seal. Or you could check all the insides of the door wells after a good rain or car wash, and see if moisture is present. Should also check the tailgate, as the license plate lamps can invite water into the insides of the tailgate.
Also, make sure the cowl drains are working properly, should spit out water under the B pillar.

A good under coat spray of rust prevention of some sort won't hurt. Can't comment on any good brands though...

Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the owner's manual (if you don't have one, get one) and follow the maintenance schedule. Don't overlook the part about changing the automatic tranny fluid every 20K...

Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Also take care of the little cosmetic type things like paint and interior care, tighten loose screws, etc. Wash and wax, keep tire pressure, rotate the tires, don't eat in the car anything that requires more than two hands or a bib, don't smoke in it, don't jump on the hood, don't slam the door too hard, wash off bird poop quickly, or any poop for that matter, and don't let anyone put their feet up on the dash, regardless of who they are, don't leave anyone inside unattended, keep all little ones on a short leash at all times, etc!

Remember, the Volvo always comes first!

Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 AM

Thanks guys! I will look into all of this and ask questions (as I'm sure there will be many) as I get to them.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lev
Also take care of the little cosmetic type things like paint and interior care, tighten loose screws, etc. Wash and wax, keep tire pressure, rotate the tires, don't eat in the car anything that requires more than two hands or a bib, don't smoke in it, don't jump on the hood, don't slam the door too hard, wash off bird poop quickly, or any poop for that matter, and don't let anyone put their feet up on the dash, regardless of who they are, don't leave anyone inside unattended, keep all little ones on a short leash at all times, etc!

Remember, the Volvo always comes first!
I just place a portable electric fence around mine. It's not terribly powerful...it seldom throws children more than 4 feet away. Also, if children can not be kept away, always have a wagon with luggage rack. A few ratchet straps will secure them to the rack and give them a great view of the country. Should this become a necessity, read Lev's recommendations regarding poop.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Yeah... also make sure you tell everyone that the map pockets ARE NOT kick panels or steps when exiting the vehicle.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Burn Stains
Yeah... also make sure you tell everyone that the map pockets ARE NOT kick panels or steps when exiting the vehicle.
haha about 5 years too late for that!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Default Map pockets

Swedes are known for big bodies, but they must have tiny feet. I've owned 9 240s and managed to shatter the map pockets on every one of them. No doubt the heat in SW USA is part of the problem. Bakes plastic. Anyway, I keep wondering if anyone has made soft (fabric) replacements for those map pockets that I keep clobbering with my big feet.