1994 Volvo 940 Stalling Out on Turns - help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Volvo 940 Stalling Out on Turns - help!

I now drive a 1994 Volvo model 940, and I have a problem with my car on which I very much want to know whether someone can help me. Though less frequently than many newer cars, my Volvo sometimes needs parts and services and I need advice in how to obtain them. In particular, I need guidance to diagnose obscure problems which Volvo mechanics find daunting.
Six months ago while accelerating on a left turn the motor suddenly stalled, leaving me without power brakes or steering. Luckily, I was able to guide the car to the curb and restart the motor. The power assists took hold and I drove off. There was no recurrence -- until about a week later when the same thing happened twice, two days apart, once on a right turn and once on a straightaway, luckily always at a slow speed. My mechanic replaced a rectangular module he took out of the dashboard. The stalling did not occur again (only once) -- until three days later. So he removed the new module and replaced my old one. For the next six months there was no recurrence. Suddenly two days ago, it happened again, accelerating into a right turn. My mechanic says he has no further recommendations. I asked whether a clogged fuel filter could cause the stalling. He does not think so, said there is no way to determine whether that is the problem, but will replace the fuel filter (for $74) if I wish.
This car is in general a safe and comfortable vehicle in good condition. But this stalling is a threat. Can you help me find a source of help in eliminating it.
Thank you

Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuel filter has never been replaced, then that is always a good thing to do. Has any work been done on the car before this problem? Once I didn't tighten down the grounds on the engine for the wiring harness and my car would quit randomly. These grounding wires connect to the intake manifold where the fuel rail bolts on. I don't think that is too likely, though. Do you have a check engine light? Can you pull any codes? Does the problem only occur without your foot on the gas? It could be an idling problem. When you are in a turn, you regularly let of the gas.

Last edited by Titan Joe; 04-26-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i first got my 940 (used) It would stall randomly, but most often at stop lights Juusst as i hit the gas. It would stay stalled for a minute or two before i could manage to start it.

I threw in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner just to try it before having to deal with a mechanic and it hasn't had a problem since. Might be worth a try.