240 Dies In Gear! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 Dies In Gear! HELP!!

Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me diagnose this issue or point me in the right direction.

Well after a lot of tinkering and replacing parts, I was able to get her running on idle. Before she would start then I would have to rev the engine to keep it running, however as soon as I would release the gas it would die. After replacing the in tank pump, fuel filter, main pump, distributor wires, plugs, air mass meter, air box thermostat, and the crank position sensor. I also cleaned all the fuse contact, replaced with all new fuses, cleaned all the ground connections, and checked and replaced the fuel pump relay.

After this she now starts and runs alright on idle, I can increase the rpm's and it will settle back to base idle without dying. Strangely as soon as I start to release the clutch to engage first gear it dies.

I figured it would have to be somewhere in the fuel delivery. I do believe it is running rich because I can slightly smell gas out of the exhaust. It also might be a misfire of some sort because the exhaust output is choppy and not smooth. It could possibly be the rotor, however the person that I purchased the car from told me he just had the rotor and cap replaced. I was thinking there is a possibility that the coolant temp sensor might be at fault.

If this was the case shouldn't it show up on the OBD codes? The only code I am getting is from socket 2 which is 121. I believe would be cause by the o2 sensor, considering there is not one connected. I am in the process of getting a new exhaust with the o2 sensor. When I purchased it there was no cat back, thus no o2 sensor. Strangely I was able to make a 4 hour trip with the car like it was. Then I arrive and the next day the battle begun. I wouldn't think a missing o2 sensor would not allow it to start, as it has run before without one.

I thought it could of been an issue with the throttle body so I disassembled that and cleaned it to a shine, replaced the gasket, and installed a new throttle body switch. Since I was down there I swapped out the idle air control valve thinking that might be the issue. I figure it a good way to do preventative maintenance.

Well that is were I am at now, and I need my car running as soon as possible. If anyone has any comments, questions, concerns, ideas, theories, please let me know.

Thanks,
Garrett

Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally!

I finally figured it out, it was the Air Mass Meter. I learned my lesson, DON'T BUY AFTERMARKET PARTS, ALWAYS OEM! Sometimes it is hard to justify doing so when the part cost more than the car... but anyways, THANKS!