240 Manual or Automatic Transmission?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 Manual or Automatic Transmission?

So I am still doing some research looking to find that perfect 240 for me. Originally I was wanting an automatic transmission wagon but as I have been reading some of the posts I am wondering if the automatic transmission has more issues than the manual? Is there merit to this? I am not worried about performance so that is not an issue. I just want a car with the least amount of issues even though I know a lot of it has to do with how its been taken care of also. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM

I've driven a lot of high mileage cars, all of them manual. Never had a problem with the transmission in any of them. Right now I've got a 240 wagon with manual, it's still shifting like a dream. Without the manual, the car would feel a little sluggish I'd imagine unless it's a turbo.

In my experience, most manual trannys have a lot less maintenance and issues. But it sounds like the volvo aw71 is a pretty good automatic transmission if you are looking for an auto.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zloetakoe
In my experience, most manual trannys have a lot less maintenance and issues. But it sounds like the volvo aw71 is a pretty good automatic transmission if you are looking for an auto.
If I'm not mistaken, you only get the AW-70 in 240s; the AW-71 is what you get in the 740 turbo. Shouldn't be a problem unless you're planning on major power increases.

I personally prefer automatics because I have to drive into Houston almost every day and the traffic is so bad that if you have a standard it's like you're rowing a boat. When I was trailer trucking, I drove a ten speed Freightliner and I guess the fun of shifting all the time wore off after the first couple hundred thousand miles..

Both my 245 and 745T are automatics and the only problem I've had involved a couple of plastic bushings on the shift linkage. One thing I really like about these trannys is that they have drain plugs. If you change the fluid every 20K, as recommended, this beats the hell out of having to drop the pan as on most other cars. I run synthetic fluid and, like I said, have had virtually no problems. The 745 has at least 251K (at which point the odometer failed); the 245 had it's tranny replaced with a used one by the previous owner in 2004. "If you do the maintenance, you won't have to do the repairs" seems to be true, at least in my case.

Last edited by Joseph/TX; 02-20-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Thank you both.... Any others that have comments I would appreciate them.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

I lot of it is personal preference, often based on how one uses the car. A lot of stop and go, and an auto is a blessing, yet for other purposes, like fun or performance, stick is best... I personally love sticks and lament the fact that they seem to be losing popularity. Actually, I can think of some application where an auto is better, but not many. Then it depends on the make as some manufacturers are better than others in getting the right feel... Some should never make automatics, like Porsche, Alfas, even BMW, what's the point-you are ruining the car... Outside of the US there are a lot more manuals than autos, they are definitely more economical... The numbers don't tell the whole story, may be there is a AT bias but I can squeeze a lot more MPGs from a manual than an auto, talking about the "official" EPA numbers...

As far as reliability and maintenance, the manual has the clutch which is a wear item, the auto is more complicated, true, but I've seen plenty of problems with manuals that were also hard to solve. The Volvo AW is a great AT, just good fluid changes and hardly any problems... Then in a used car, the previous owner's habits are crucial, and with RWD Volvos we deal with here that have 200k, it is a crap shoot but you do get the hang of it if you see enough of them...

Long story short, Volvos sticks are few, and you may not have a choice but if you do find a decent one, grab it! Many people want them and they are not making anymore of them unfortunately!