240 Oil Pump R&R ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 Oil Pump R&R ?

I am thinking of changing out the oil pump on a 92 Volvo 240 Sedan -
How involved is this? Like can I get away with just loosening engine mounts - and lift up the engine - or would I need to disconnect the engine from auto trany and pull it up and forward?
Or can I take the cross member out with out too much trouble or is there more to it than that - if any one know what the best way to do this is please clue me in. Thanks!
Stephen

Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 PM

You can loosen the engine mounts and lift the engine a couple inches. No need to disconnect the tranny. You should be able to maneuver the oil pan off without removing the cross member.

While you're in there it's a good chance to replace the oil return tube from the oil separator box to the oil sump.

What makes you think the oil pump is bad?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:35 AM

It clacks - following RPMs - I may put some Lucas additive in and see if that changes anything in that Lucas appears to have great viscosity and if noise remains same then it may be worn engine bearings but if it helps then maybe it is the oil pump - so does that oil return tube commonly goes bad?
Thanks!
Stephen

Old 05-23-2009, 09:40 AM

No, it doesn't commonly go bad. It's just that I normally replace anything made out of rubber that's 20 years old if the job is open. Especially cheap parts. Motor mounts is another item I would probably replace. Genuine Volvo on these rubber parts.

Sorry about the clacking. How many miles on that engine?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info and good advice!
I appreciate your help and I will try and get more facts before I go taking the oil pan off - but going on what the PO said - that he had changed the oil pump when it was clacking before and R&R oil pump took care of the noise - but at that time the oil light was flickering and this time it isn't so I will have to make sure that the oil light sending unit is hooked up and working - I might be able to hook up an oil pressure gauge just to check and see if it might be low oil pressure or not and if it is not then wow - it may be the main bearing are just worn out - I think it has about 220K.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you might know a little bit more about motors than your average bear so have you taken a long screw driver and listened around the block to see exactly where the noise might be coming from when its running? I highly doubt its a bad oil pump.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM

That's a good idea - also I thought of hooking up an oil PSI indicator to the oil pressure light and not the light does not come on but that may not be a good indication - anyway here after I listen to it I will get back with more info - actually it is a friends car! Thanks!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue goose
You can loosen the engine mounts and lift the engine a couple inches. No need to disconnect the tranny. You should be able to maneuver the oil pan off without removing the cross member.
I take it you have never pulled an oil pan from a 240. You have to drop the sub frame in order to get the pan off. I know this is an older post but just wanted to clear this up for those who may stumble across this thread.