240 wagon in Toronto-- good deal, and how much to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 wagon in Toronto-- good deal, and how much to repair?

Hi all,

First-time poster.

I'm looking at getting a Volvo 240 wagon, 1989. $900 as-is or $1800 to re-certify.

Below are the issues with the wagon as described by the owner.

Could you please tell me

a) if the sale price is ok, and
b) how much would it cost to fix at, say, $100/hr for labour (that's about the going rate in Toronto; assume US prices are equivalent).

-needs a clean air e-test pass (should be ok)

-needs muffler (it has a new catalytic converter and manifold)

rear wiper doesn't work (because the rear hatch wiring harness is no good ---not very expensive to do) - front wipers good

all wheels are recently serviced / repaired but right front brake has a bit of a shudder (probably from sitting around unused for the last couple of months)

needs a new horn

all lights work

tires are good (plus 2 sets of snows - one on rims)

body is good

-needs an ignition module
(during a heat wave you have to wait until it cools down for the engine to start)
(not expensive to replace - otherwise car runs great - transmission good)

Thanks!
-André

BTW, if you're in Toronto and like what you see (it's in craigslist), by all means, go for it; don't wait for me.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm...$900 is an attractive price but that's a long list of things not working. Have these issues been diagnosed by a tech or is the owner telling you? The no hot start could just as easily be a bad fuel pump relay or failing crank sensor or.....Needs a new horn? The car came with 2. Extremely unusual for both to fail simultaneously...maybe a fuse or relay? The rear harnesses that go through both liftgate hinges are known problem causers. Each harness is about $15US and entails pulling down the headliner in back, not a real toughy. The brake rotor is probably warped...sitting around might generate a little surface rust but not enough to feel. Volvo rotors are thin when new; there isn't a lot of excess metal to turn. They will take a light turning but that's about it. Still...rotors have come down in price lately.
I'd try to talk the guy down to 700-750 tops as is.