240 wgn shocks/struts/springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:32 AM
twe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 wgn shocks/struts/springs

I just had Bilstein touring shocks/struts installed on my 280k mile 93 240 wagon as well as heavy duty springs in the rear. My mechanic told me the shocks and struts were shot and I assumed they must be as it seemed to be riding a bit lower, although it did not have any discernable difference in handling and ride. The prior shocks were Sachs Boge that were installed 100k miles earlier along with IPD’s anti-sway bar in the rear. The car has always had a smooth and supple ride with perfect tracking on the highway. I had read that the HD shocks were good for towing and heavier loads. I tow a 15 foot boat 400 miles in the summer and the rear end sagged a bit so I thought the heavier springs would help.

Upon installing the new shocks and springs the car rides like a buck board with a very busy ride, pitching forward to back and seems to be bottoming out hard right to the frame over the slightest road bump. It also is pulling to the right even with an alignment. Just after a 20 minute test ride on the highway I had a blasting headache and the onset of a stiff neck. I assume it’s due to the heavier spring but is there a possibility that there’s a break in period where they will soften up (?). Should I also have put in new springs in the front? Could the Bilsteins also be that much stiffer as well?

Old 08-29-2018, 03:21 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by twe
I just had Bilstein touring shocks/struts installed on my 280k mile 93 240 wagon as well as heavy duty springs in the rear. My mechanic told me the shocks and struts were shot and I assumed they must be as it seemed to be riding a bit lower, although it did not have any discernable difference in handling and ride. The prior shocks were Sachs Boge that were installed 100k miles earlier along with IPD’s anti-sway bar in the rear. The car has always had a smooth and supple ride with perfect tracking on the highway. I had read that the HD shocks were good for towing and heavier loads. I tow a 15 foot boat 400 miles in the summer and the rear end sagged a bit so I thought the heavier springs would help.

Upon installing the new shocks and springs the car rides like a buck board with a very busy ride, pitching forward to back and seems to be bottoming out hard right to the frame over the slightest road bump. It also is pulling to the right even with an alignment. Just after a 20 minute test ride on the highway I had a blasting headache and the onset of a stiff neck. I assume it’s due to the heavier spring but is there a possibility that there’s a break in period where they will soften up (?). Should I also have put in new springs in the front? Could the Bilsteins also be that much stiffer as well?
Bilstein Touring struts take 40 lbs to compress, Sachs Advantage(gas) take 25 lbs and Sachs Oil take 10 lbs. So, yeah a big difference. Doesn't make sense that it's bottoming out with stiffer shocks. Something's wrong. And, by the way, Bilstein Tourings(their number B4) are not heavy duty. If you got heavy duty(their number B6) that would explain the bone jarring ride. They take 60 lbs to compress.

Last edited by Moetheshmoe; 08-29-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:04 PM
twe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 wgn shocks/struts/springs

The shocks and struts are Bilstein touring. The rear springs are heavy duty. I hope its just the springs but if I had known the bilsteins were that much stiffer I would have stayed with the Sachs. Thanks for your insight.