85 240DL Fuel Pressure Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 240DL Fuel Pressure Issue

Car will not turn over. Have determined through fuel pressure test - no fuel pressure measured. Listed is what I have done with no success;
-Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter
-Replaced fuel pressure regulator
-Cleared fuel line from filter to engine of any blockage
-Replaced fuel pump relay
-Replaced and confirmed all fuses are in order
-Confirmed (ohm test) injectors are in order

Not sure what to check next. Not sure if in-tank pump would be an issue and whether or not this 85 is equipped with in-tank pump. Have enjoyed the process up to this point, however, patience now being tested! Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-

Roger Moore
1985 Volvo 240DL -Non-Turbo

Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 PM

There is a fuse at the battery located on the smaller but heavy red wire that should lead all the way back to the fuel pump relay. The fuse or fuse holder has a sometimes indistinguishable tendency to discuise the blown or melted fuse. this can go bad if you run your tank to empty or just have a faulty connection because its not water proof verify by using a multimeter on DC voltage option and check the voltage at the Fuel pump relay. Make sure you check the FAT red wire on the relay and not the yellow wire. Most likely that is the problem. you can jump the Yellow and the red to see if you can year the fuel pump running. then disconnect and check. This relay will turn on the Fuel injectors as well as the fuel pumps. and you do have TWO off them one is in the tank and one is outside. the one in the tank can be accessed from the trunk. just lift up the carpet and follow some threads on how to do this.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM

If you have any more problems just give me an email and i will repost some more tips and tricks. I have pretty much completely reworked a million items on this car. abuman782@yahoo.com please send a link to this forum page too and i will gladly respond on this place to keep everyone else informed also.

1985 volvo 240 DL

Last edited by Vizard; 09-13-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-13-2013, 01:55 PM

i'm sorry if i make you feel bad by saying this but you really should have check that voltage before even trying to "replace" your way through the problem. Alot of cheap mechanics do that for you and rip you off in the process but its just bad methodology. Always try to diagnose the actual problem before making "repairs" so as to really figure it out. even though these cars are real easy and simple to fix diagnostics can be a art skill because it can be very confusing and hard there is no OBDII after all right. Also there are known wiring problems at the fuel pump (external) and get a haynes manual to trouble shoot other electrical problems. My book is probably totally tore up by now. I've used it a lot and one had it flooded in with the car. Not a problem just flushed all the oils and cleared the water and it started up like a champ. good car