88 240dl with small problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 240dl with small problems

Hey all, I just bought an 88 240dl with a 5 speed manual m-47 I believe. The body is perfect with only a little paint fading. She has a few small problems that I'm trying to remedy so any input would be great. I'm fairly good at working on cars but Volvos are new to me and I’m still trying to figure things out.

Problem number one.
I did a tune up on it: plugs, wires, cap, & rotor and seafoam. I checked the vacuum lines and the car ran much better then before. however it still has a bit of a rough Idle not bad enough to stall, it just has a small shimmy when idling worm or cold. Any thoughts of what else it could be.
-My Ideas - bad seal on an injector or two, mass air meter, idle air control, or intake gasket on throttle body.

Problem number two.
I replaced the clock with a tach and put in a new used speedometer with a working Odometer with 135,000 miles on it. Th old odometer stopped turning at around 119,000 miles or so. My problem is that now when I turn the car one everything works fine except now I get the service light where I didn't have any light before. This light stays on for about 2-3 minutes then turns off. only comes on again when I turn off the car and then restart it. Does any one know why this is?

Problem Number three. (The most annoying)
The transmission doesn't like to be put into 1st. No grinding or anything but it takes a bit of force to move it into the first position. However if you put into 2nd and then move it to 1st it goes in easier but still requires a little bit of force. Also if you don't go to second first you can wiggle the shifter a little while trying to shift into 1st and it will eventually slip right in. all other gears R & 2-5 are smooth. I've checked the clutch for play but all is within spec (not too much free play in the line). Any thoughts?

Those are all the main issues the rest I've got figured out. Any input or ideas would be great

Also one other thing I’m a fairly tall person at 6'-6" does anyone know how to move the seat back about 4 more inches so that my right knee isn't on the dash??

Old 10-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 88 240dl with small problems

question 1 I would clean the idle motor unit with carb cleaner and lightly lubricate, If this does not do it I would go on to the injector seals.

question 2 there is a reset on the back of the speedo it is a small square of plastic and you have to push hard. will come one every 5000 mi

question 3 worn, when you are going 1mph slide into first

free advice: if car ever fails to start find white relay (fuel pump relay) above passengers right foot behind carpet. Flick a few times with thumb and forfinger if car now starts buy new fuel pump relay. Might be a good idea to keep spare. www.fpcgroton.com If car still fails to start unplug air mass meter this puts car in 'limp home mode' if car now starts, shut off, plug back up. If car will not start you need a air mass sensor. Can be had cheaply at www.car-part.com

Old 10-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 88 240dl with small problems

Thanks for the advice on the relay and AMM

Whats the best methode to check the seals on the injectors. I've heard of people using starting fluid to check those kind of seals, the motor will idle up when the leak is found but if something ignites the fluid . . . . well smores anyone?

On the back of the speedo I have what looks like a black leaver that can be moved up but it doesn't do anything that I can tell, with or without the ignition on and the car running. No square however. If this is it, it might be broke, if that is the case ohwell I can live with a light that only stays on for 2 minutes. Does this light indicate anything else other then a 5,000 mile service interval?

and finally is there a reconditioning kit or something of the like to replace the worn shifter parts?