'89 240 DL Tranny Swap ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 240 DL Tranny Swap ?s

Hey guys, I just got this '89 Volvo 240 DL last november and I'm not too satisfied with the auto trans. so I'm looking into doing a tranny swap if I can find one around me. My question is, I don't know much about foreign cars, does a manual transmission have the same bolt pattern on the bell housing as the auto tranny? And I'm not a very experience mechanic however this isn't my main car so i figured this would be a nice project to try out so if you have an other suggestions I'd appreciate them as well! Thanks!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your car should have the AW70 auto transmission. All late model Volvo transmissions will bolt up. You don't specify precisely what your dissatisfaction is so I have no clue if you're wanting a crisper shifting automatic or want to go manual. The simplest option would be to find yourself an AW71 out of a late model 740/940 turbo car. These are the heavy duty automatics and are much stronger than the AW 70. If you want the feel of a shift kit in the transmission, it is a simple project to do an accumulator lock up mod...especially while the new tranny is out of the car. If you are bound and determined to go with a manual transmission, find a late model M47. They were first installed in 240's beginning in 87 but the later you go the better. It's best for you get the transmission from 89 or newer as you will need the flywheel with crank sensor dimples. Also, will need to get the appropriate front driveshaft, cross member and clutch/brake cage assembly.
If you are of modest mechanical means, I recommend swapping in the quite robust AW71. Direct swap w/ no need to swap drive shafts or cross members. And if you do the accumulator lock up, you will have a transmission that shifts crisper and, under hard acceleration, might even chirp a back tire!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I suspect you realize that this is a fairly sizable undertaking. I would assume you would look for a used transmission from a salvage yard . The bolt pattern should not be a problem if you find a gear box from a similar year. As to cost I think you will be making an appreciable investment. You can source most of the OEM parts from a good salvage yard but make a list and see if you can find a donor car with all of the parts you would need. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44
Your car should have the AW70 auto transmission. All late model Volvo transmissions will bolt up. You don't specify precisely what your dissatisfaction is so I have no clue if you're wanting a crisper shifting automatic or want to go manual. The simplest option would be to find yourself an AW71 out of a late model 740/940 turbo car. These are the heavy duty automatics and are much stronger than the AW 70. If you want the feel of a shift kit in the transmission, it is a simple project to do an accumulator lock up mod...especially while the new tranny is out of the car. If you are bound and determined to go with a manual transmission, find a late model M47. They were first installed in 240's beginning in 87 but the later you go the better. It's best for you get the transmission from 89 or newer as you will need the flywheel with crank sensor dimples. Also, will need to get the appropriate front driveshaft, cross member and clutch/brake cage assembly.
If you are of modest mechanical means, I recommend swapping in the quite robust AW71. Direct swap w/ no need to swap drive shafts or cross members. And if you do the accumulator lock up, you will have a transmission that shifts crisper and, under hard acceleration, might even chirp a back tire!
I'm interested in making it a 5 speed, the auto is just not enough excitement when this is my everyday driver haha during the summer I'm rollin around in an 05 pontiac gto 6speed BIG difference haha so I'm just trying to get a little more fun out of this puppy. And I figured Id start with a tranny swap, i've checked my local salvage yards and they have a few volvos in their yards around the same year and same model, i haven't had much time to actually go down there and check out if they have manual transmissions or if they're of good use for a parts car, I just wanted to get on the grounds of what i'll need from this parts car to make the swap.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Automatics are boring? AW71 at work................
Name:  burnout2-1.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  34.3 KB
I think the motor wakes the car up more than the transmission.That having been said, keep your eyes open for an M47 5 speed.

Last edited by swiftjustice44; 02-04-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Wait so...you're telling me that automatics aren't boring and then you suggest the m47? lol you're confusin me man!!! hahaha no regardless of how that automatic transmission acts, I'm interested in a manual. I like feeling like I'm actually contributing to the driving of my cars, automatics turn people into zombies, or worse...drivers who then get distracted more easily because they think they can do more while they drive...ahem women but that's besides the point. haha thanks for all the info guys!

Last edited by IMCauley; 02-07-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IMCauley
Wait so...you're telling me that automatics aren't boring and then you suggest the m47? lol you're confusin me man!!! hahaha no regardless of how that automatic transmission acts, I'm interested in a manual. I like feeling like I'm actually contributing to the driving of my cars, automatics turn people into zombies, or worse...drivers who then get distracted more easily because they think they can do more while they drive...ahem women but that's besides the point. haha thanks for all the info guys!
Well, was just making a point that the AW71 handles more torque than the M46 or M47. Since in your previous post you said you wanted to go 5 speed, at the last I said keep your eyes open for an M47...
Here's what the M47 looks like. Notice the ends of the driveshaft have rubber guibos instead of metal bolt ups...
Name:  100_4180.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  71.2 KB
Name:  100_4181.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  31.1 KB

Last edited by swiftjustice44; 02-07-2011 at 05:27 PM.