'89 244 Non-Turbo - fueling issue, please help me find it

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 244 Non-Turbo - fueling issue, please help me find it

Hi, fellas! I'm new to this forum, though not really, because you all have inadvertently helped me through lots of problems with ole Grandpa.

I'm having what I believe to be a fueling issue. When I first got the car about a month ago, it had a lot of excess noise from the main fuel pump and **** poor power. It came to a head when my in tank pump failed completely and left me stranded in a Subway parking lot. Being the panicker I am, I wailed for my father and he came and replaced both my in tank pump and main pump. What would I do without him?

Anyway, the car started right back up with renewed vigor, but with the same main pump undulating bee buzz. I drove him around for a week perfectly fine. But now, I'm having lots of trouble getting him started after the engine is warmed up.

If I let him sit for a while, he starts up "fine". If I don't let him sit for a while, he starts, but the engine stalls soon after (and the Check Engine light flashes right before it stalls) unless I give him gas. Even when he does start, it is weak and feels as if he's about to die until it finally picks up and I can go. Once I get going, everything is fine except for what feels like a little power loss and the INCESSANT fuel pump noise. I have a little bit of a rough idle, as well.

I do not notice any leaks. OBD does not throw up any stored codes for port 2 or 6. I get voltage to both fuses 4 and 6.

Things that are new (or at least fairly new):
- main fuel pump (Delphi)
- intank fuel pump (Delphi)
- spark plugs/wires
- fuses (including the 25 amp fuse in the engine compartment)

Things that are NOT new (and are all considered suspects):
- Fuel filter
- Fuel pump relay
- Fuel pressure regulator
- AMM and intake hose (I need to check the hose for cracks)
- distributor cap and rotor
- crank positioning sensor

You all know more about this than I do, though I'm trying my hardest to learn. Where should I start? Can a severely clogged fuel filter cause these symptoms? Or an almost dead, cracking fuel pump relay?

Sorry for the gigantic wall of text. I'm trying to be thorough! Thank you for your time.