91 240 lack of power steering

Old 06-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 240 lack of power steering

Ok. I've just about completely rebuilt this car. It's not currently registered, so it's just been in my garage as I've worked on it.

I went to move it the other day, and the steering is excessively heavy.

The power steering does work, sort of. I can steer it with the wheels on the concrete with the engine running, but it requires excessive effort. With the engine off, there is no boost.

If I jack up the front of the car, the wheels move slightly easier with the engine off!

Backtracking-

I replaced the A/C compressor and all of the rubber bushings that mount the alternator, A/C comp, and power steering pump.

I never removed the power steering pump, but I did move it around quite a lot while working on it. I never spilled any fluid, and the fluid is still full, and is clean. None of the lines are kinked or bent.

I did notice while I had the A/C compressor out that the area where the column goes to the rack was quite oily, but I assumed this was due to the excessively leaky A/C comp sitting above it for several years.

I degreased the area with brake clean.

Here's what my research has revealed:

-There is the steering coupling that attaches the column to the rack. I might have washed the oil out of the little U joint when I degreased that area. It would seem to me that this would be creating a different problem, and that the steering would be more difficult with the engine off.

-The power steering pump may have failed.

-The steering rack itself may have failed.

All I know for sure is that it worked when I drove the car in the garage, and no longer does.

All the belts run true, there is no noise from them anymore, and there is no bad noise from the steering pump.

If I steer lock to lock, I can get a loud squeal in either direction.

I'm interested in knowing how I might isolate the problem, I can't believe I'd need BOTH the pump and rack, for example.

Looking for suggestions

Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

With both front wheels jacked up and the engine off you should be able to freely and easily turn the steering wheel. If the steering is stiff in this situation then the u-joint might be binding. Usually if it is binding the steering will feel lumpy - meaning stiff spots when turning. If this is indeed what is happening then you could lube up the u-joints and work them till they free up.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my thought in regards to the U Joint. Thanks for your reply.

With the engine not running, wheels off the ground, the car seems to steer ok, with none of the 'lumpiness' I'd expect of a faulty universal.

I'm still not ruling it out, though. I should probably disconnect it from the rack and give it an actual check.