91 740 turbo wagon "hot flashes" and speedo problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 740 turbo wagon "hot flashes" and speedo problems

This post is transfered from the new member forum. If you have been following this thread, please read the first part for today’s update. Thank you for your interest. Erwin[/i]
[/i]
This is what I did last night:
1. pulled the IACV, pretty clean, cleaned again anyway and the hose. Just want tomake sure that I got the right thing. It’s the aluminum thing mounted inside a tubular bracket under the intake. Input is connected to the large hose between the intercooler and the TB. Out put is connected to the intake fork (where it splits into 4) where the idle injecter is (I assume that’s what it is).
2. Pulled the air filter and mass flow meter. Cleaned the filter. Cleaned the flow meter (the most finicky automotive device I even seen, the thin wire wrapped around 3 little posts!). A note for those who didn’t notice this: the nice looking layer of form material lining inside of the clean side of the air box is completely disintegrated. When I just gently rub on it, it completely fall off and into fine pieces. I decided to totally remove it since I don’t wont to see the form material going into my system. [/i]
For those with a intercooler like mine, how do you get the lid off the box and put it back together. I took me a good hour to do just that. The input of the intercooler is in the way.[/i]
3. Pulled and cleaned that little plastic device connecting the crankcase venting hose to the large hose between the turbo and the intercooler. What is it. I did not find it in the Hayns manual.
4. cleaned the TB. It looked pretty clean to start with.

After all these, I did a test drive. Still the same old service light at start up and disappears after reach 20mph. I pushed and hold the reset button on the dash with the key on the on position. That seemed to stopped the light from coming on. However the code is still in the computer.
Socket #2:
3-1-2 not in the list, anyone knows what it is?
2-3-2 adaptive heated O2 sensor control (94-up) mine is 91 ---?

Socket #6 ignition
2-1-4 ignition RPM signal erratic. What does it mean here?

[/i]
First posted in the New Member forum on 10/23/2007[/i]

I’m a new owner of a 740 turbo station wagon. Well, brand new in the wonderful yet treacherous world of Volvo. I would say that I’m a good yet not an advanced home mechanic. I did timing system service, dropped engine oil pans, transmission pans and replaced automatic transmissions, very good with electronics. Before I bought this wagon, I read everything I can find on the net about Volvo cars, particularly 240, 740, 760 and 940. I waited 3 months before I finally found this one which is very close to what I’ve been looking for. It’s a 91 740 turbo wagon with 4 speed and electronic 5th speed (O/D), fairly low mileage (126K). The only thing missing is the 3rd seat which I’m going to find a used one and put on. The car is in very good shape both interior and exterior. The engine is quite clean of oil. There is a list of things not quite right which made it possible for me to get it for $1500. The handbrake not working – broken long cable at the lever. Broken light bulbs. Mismatched wheels – two 5-spoke alloy wheels and two stock steal ones. The sunroof is stuck at the closed position, yet not flush (passenger rear side lower than the roof). Since I can not get it to the vent position I have to drop the entire ceiling to get the sunroof out of the car to fix it. It turned to be a broken passenger side drive cable (worm). The other reason I decided to do this the hard way is the headliner (the cloth) came off the head board and just hanging over my head. I thought that I can fix these two problems (sunroof and headliner) just by going in there once. Now the sunroof is working flawlessly. The next thing to do when I get a chance is to glue the headliner back on and install the headboard. Those must be very common problems with those 740s. The last one I looked at (91 auto, 150K) has exactly the same issues.
Sorry be so wordy, this is my first post. The real reason for this post beside the excitement of finally owning a 740 manual is that the car has two other issues which I’m not very sure how to tackle. Hopefully some of you can help me out. The first is the dancing speedometer. It only dances when the car is not moving (quite wildly, 0 to 50 mph range). Once it start driving it goes to normal. Do you think my speedo is bad as I read in so many cases or something else cause it? The other thing is what I call it the “hot flashes”. It happens mostly when I try to pull a stop or slow down. All the engine lights suddenly come on and I have to restart the engine. Once a while it happens briefly while driving and I assume that the drive tran restart the engine by it self. Similar thing used to happen to our Chrysler minivan and I fixed it by replacing the idle air controlling motor (valve). I noticed that the 740 has a bypass valve. Could that be the root of problem? Also the engine does not start with the turn of key. It always (after I bought it) takes a few seconds of cranking. Well, that ‘s more that enough talking on my side. Anyway, glade to be on board with all of you Volvo lovers. Erwin

Posted on 10/24/2007 by Erwin[/i]
Anyway, another day of dring my "new car" gives me some more insight. The service engine light flashed on once. After a few miles it came on very often when I start moving from a stop and it will always go off once over 20 mph. I think that everything is pointing to one direction: something to do with idling! I'm going to check and clean the IACV if I can locate it tonight, also, the mass air flow meter. Maybe pull some codes out off the computer. Erwin

Posted by JPN on 10/24/2007[/i]

Hello Erwin,

Welcome to the forum, I wish you find it useful & enjoyable.

Please note, that this is "New Members' Area" and is designated for self-introduction only. When you wish to post technical questions, please post them in the 740 forum.

Good luck to you,

Posted by Erwin 10/25/2007[/i]
Thanks for point that out to me, JPN. I've been just wondering about that. I know that the members are very knowlegeble here. That might explain why I'm not getting much inputs. I'll repost it in the 740 forum. Thanks again. Erwin