91 740 wagon won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 740 wagon won't start

I recently purchased a 91 740 turbo wagon with 97,000 miles. I drove it home (putting nearly 300 miles on it) and it ran fine the entire trip. Nearing the house, the car stalled out and would not restart. It would crank but not turn over completely. I checked the fuses and noticed the #1 fuse for the in-line fuel pump had blown. I replaced this fuse and the car fired up (ran rough) for about 5 seconds then stalled. Checked the same fuse and it had blown again. After looking further, I noticed the original #1 fuse and the one I replaced it with were only 15 amps and it called for a 25 amp. So, I stuck a 25 amp fuse in, and the car fired up. However, the in-line fuel pump was whining like a baby. I drove the car a few miles and it stalled out again. We pulled and replaced the in-line pump and the filter (which was completely clogged). Now the car won't turn over at all. Is it possible the starter got fried in this process? Or is there something else I should be checking? I have the in-tank pump and the pump sock but would like to avoid dropping the gas tank to replace these if possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Default RE: 91 740 wagon won't start

Do you have any electrical at all? Or will it just not crank?
Did you check your battery terminals?

I would hate to thinkt hat your "new used" car hadn't been driven much before you bought it. If so, it is not uncommon to see that these vehicles break a number of parts at once.

It figures that you were able to drive it "all the way home" end then the problems start. I had the same situation buying my car, but I got a deal and brought it back to the guy for free repairs.

Most states have express warranties wich will cover your a$$ up to a certain point in time and millege. I would guess that you have about 30 days or 1000 miles from time of sale.

Good luck and I'm such other more experienced people on this forum will give you better technical answers.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you already install the fuel pump?
You don't need to drop the tank to replace there is an access panel in the trunk.

Hook a test light to the small wire that goes to the starter. Turn the key to the start position. Have someone see if the light lights up. If it does the starter is bad. If it doesn't then it is somehting else.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 PM

quote]ORIGINAL: sullystull

Thanks guys. I hope I can find some answers/guidance here too! I live in a small town of about 450 people and we're lucky to have a mechanic. If the car was a ford, it would have been fixed by now. It's basically me trying to diagnose the problem and then explain to the mechanic what needs to be done. We are both competent, but unfamiliar with Volvos.
[/quote]

Thanks Tech. As you can tell from a post I made in the newbie section. I am very much on my own with these issues. I'll give it a shot and see where we are.
Can I get to the tank from underneath the spare tire in the wagon? Also, is it possible the fuel pump relay is bad as well?
Rob

Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Administrator

It is possible the relay is bad.
It is in the back of the fuse panel behind the ashtray.
It is white and like a double relay.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 AM

Is there a way to test the relay without purchasing a new one to install?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Set a test light up to the wiring for the fuel pump. The power wire at the pump plug should be a pink one. With the test light connected turn the key to the on position. The test light should light up for about 5 to 7 seconds then go off. If you crank the car it should come back on.

If you get nothing at all the relay is bad. But if you get power when doing this and no fuel at the engine the pump is bad.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanks a bunch--I'll give it a shot. Have a great Sunday!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 AM

Just wanted to provide an update for those who have been keeping track or may care. So, my new baby is purring like a kitten now. The following was replaced which got me back in running condition:
In line fuel pump and filter
spark plugs
fuel pressure regulator
starter

After replacing the fuel pump, the starter went. Once the starter was replaced, itwould start to turn over than make a loud cla-plunk sound (and not start). Turns out, it was causing a hydraulic lock--too much fuel. That led to the replacement of the regulator. Score= Volvo-5 Sullystull-1 (but we scored the last point so we're currently winning).

Thanks a ton for all who offered up advice! I live in a small town that is still very "community" oriented. It is nice to know this same attitude exists worldwide. I am glad to be a part of a wonderful online-community!

Rob