91 940 Turbo wagon dies when gets really hot?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 940 Turbo wagon dies when gets really hot?????

Got this car not too long ago. Now has 245k miles but runs great. 2 issues.
1. When the car idles for too long (5 mins or more) I get smoke from under the car. Not from exhaust from under the car. No oil on exhaust not sure what may be causing. Oil soaked intercooler hoses making turbo smoke? (not sure, my first turbo).

2. BIGGEST ISSUE. I drove the car when it was really hot (102) on a 45 min or so trip. Closeto the end the car started spuutering like it was not getting gas. I pulled off and it died. When I started it the car seemed like it was out of gas. It would sputter but not long and then die. THe check engine light never came on. I tried for a few minutes to start it and about when I got worried about the battery it started. Oh by the way the air was on when it started acting up and I turned it off. I the drove the car home no issue since. Now today I was on my way home from work and its hot today as well (102) and it did it again but on a short trip. It started sputtering, I turned off the air, and it was ok but not great still wanted to die. I went in to the store. When I came back out it started fine but sputtered when I got in the gas. I pulled out and was going to go home (2 miles) but it kept sputtering. I pulled off and it died. I started it and it did start but sputtered and did not want to run. Reallt rough idle like it was not hittin on all cylinders. Finally it would not run at all. I tried until the battery went dead. I walked over to a repair shop and got a jump pack. After 2 tries it cranked and I drove home but it sputtered here and there. Got home let it sit 10 mins or so and drove it. The car still sputtered here and there but that is what I have now.
I was thinking maybe the coil was getting hot or something. ANy IDEas!!!!!

Also some gas odor here and there. Good gas mileage though 21mpg

Last edited by bigdaddyrdpjr; 07-07-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be a weak fuel pump or a bad MAF sensor..need to get a fuel pressure gauge on it..aso unplug MAF and see if car will run if so plug back in and see if it runs better or worse or same. better MAF is fine, worse or same bad MAF sensor...if it were electrical car would not sputter just turn off like a light switch...smoke form underhood is either an electrical fire or oil burning off on exhaust or yes turbo leaking and burning off...only things that could cause smoke...

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the booster pump in the fuel tank. The car will start and run if the tank pump is out but not if the main pump is out. One indication is that the car runs a lot better with a full tank, and starts running progressively crappier at around half a tank or below. Been there, done that. I got fooled into thinking I had gotten some bad gas because when I filled the tank it immediately ran fine. Next day and half a tank later car was acting like it wasn't getting enough fuel - which it wasn't - and I was back to square one. Fill the tank and see if it makes a difference.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned

Is it a Bosch or Regina car? If Bosch car would still start if the in tank pump is bad main pump would run it just fine....only would not start if main pump is bad or only has one pump like Regina car...A LOT of Bosch 240's/740's/940's have bad in tank pumps and still run with just the main pump...

Last edited by volvoguy2323; 07-08-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the in tank pumps sounds like you may have something. It does run worse as the tank gets low. Although it was still fine today without adding gas. it is a bosch. Can I just keep it full and then all will be fine?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

In take pump will only cause car to idle a bit cruddy and stall going up inclines mainly...would not cause vcar not to start at all...but yes if symptoms worsen when it's a quarter tank or below keep gas up...yes it will run with just main pump but eventually you'll want to replace the in tank pump...but I am thinking it's probably not an in tank pump with the symptoms you first described...I would check MAF sensor and pressure off main pump first...