'92 420 Odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 420 Odometer not working

Like the title says. 1992 240 GL and the Odo doesn't work. The speedo works fine though. Any troubleshooting ideas on this one?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Pull out the instrument cluster and inspect the odo. Often the little gear is missing a tooth or two. Pretty easy to replace. Have you ever had the cluster out?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:59 PM

No, I haven't had it out before. Any pointers?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 AM

I've removed instrument clusters from older 240s ('83-'86) but never a '92. So there may be some differences. For instance they may use Torx fasteners instead of Phillips. Also the '92 has an air bag, which I know nothing about.

The way mine comes out is as follows: I pull the ***** for the dimmer and the light switch on the left side of the cluster. Then pop the little trim panel off. That reveals two screw heads for the left side of the cluster. On the right side, pop off the trim surrounds for the two gauges, if you have gauges in that spot. Otherwise just pop off the two blanks where the gauges go. That reveals two screw heads for the right side.

I usually remove the top trim piece from the steering column, two screws on top, to make it easier for the cluster to pull out. However, I've also done it without removing that piece. I've never done it with an air-bag car.

I always disconnect the battery ground cable before messing with electrical stuff.

The cluster pulls straight out and will be held in by 3-5 electrical connectors. You'll be able to peek into the right side to see what's behind the cluster. I suggest you take notes or take pictures so you know what connects to what before you start pulling cables. There's a "full-moon" connector toward the top, a "half-moon" connector below that and to the right (passenger) side, there's a three-pin "L" shaped connector at the back of the speedo, and a single wire at the bottom right. There could also be a tach wire connected. If you don't have a tach, there will be a loose red/blk wire behind the cluster for the tach and don't connect it to anything.

You can take a look at Dave Shannon's web site for odo gear instructions. The cluster he shows is an older one with a speedo cable instead of electronic. But it's still helpful.

Once you've recorded where all the wires go you can disconnect everything and slide the cluster out and to the right toward the radio.

Post back.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by blue goose
Also the '92 has an air bag, which I know nothing about..
your correct even know you discounted the battery the SRS system has a stand by power unit and crash sensor that's under the drivers seat. you'll need to disable the stand by unit if working in general area of the airbag module. heres how: turn ingntion off, disconnect negative battry cable and unplug the air bag connector (it sould be yellow & be behind the carpet on drivers side of the console see crude illistration) trust me you want to do this or you might learn the hard way. just ask me why

Name:  airbAG.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  49.5 KB

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM

Thanks guys! I am going to try and tackle it this coming weekend. I will let you know how it goes!