93 240 classic - wagon / tailgate help pls.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 240 classic - wagon / tailgate help pls.

hello all, i'm new here.

i have a 240 classic wagon, and have been working on it for the past five or six years off and on. i just got the engine running well (mass air meter was the final thing to replace, and BAM, everything started working beautifully!), and the car has just has new outer tie-rods put on.

it's in dire need of shocks/shock plates, and an interior overhaul.

my project for this weekend is to 'fix' the tailgate latch. the car came to me with the entire latch assembly disassembled, and parts in bags. of course, after getting everything out and looking through my repair manual i've realized i MUST be missing something (or a lot of somethings) to make it work.

these are pictures from ebay, etc. that show the parts i have:

my vehicle has power lock. this is a picture of a manual lock, but in this image i see a long bar, which i'm guessing connects the lock to something on the latch - i don't have this piece, and don't know if i need it. i do have the "U" shaped metal piece, which pins the lock bolt to the hatch... and i also have the shorter bar in this image, but can't figure out where it goes.

the latch:

mine looks like this, but a whole lot dirtier.

i also have the striker plate, and a random assortment of screws and such.

if anyone here has an exploded view (mine is crap), or detailed pics of the latch assembly, i would greatly appreciate seeing them. if anyone can tell me how everything is supposed to go together without pictures, again i'd greatly appreciate it.

i've been calling around all day trying to find someone who might have a junker that i can investigate, but the only yard near here that did have a 240 wagon said the hatch is gone. of course. most places aren't answering either, guess because of the holiday weekend.

i'll get some pics of the hatch, and the parts i have and post them over the next few days.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, after much deliberation, i finally found the missing linkage - lodged firmly beyond sight in between the sheet metal in the hatch. once recovered, it became obvious how everything fits together. hatch is assembled, closing firmly, and locking now.

mischief managed.

now on to the body work. :P