93 240 station wagon classic No Power dead car Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 240 station wagon classic No Power dead car Help!

Im hoping a Guru can help out . 93 240 stationwagon classic its not the 3.2 engine. 140kmiles 2nd owner car. The problem is I turn the key there is no power going to anything. Even the interior dome light doesnt turn on or the door ajar alarm doesnt ring. Before this issue started this wed. . I was having issues in starting the car. especially when the engine was hot. I would turn the key and sometimes it wouldnt start it was intermittent. although I still had power meaning dome light went, radio worked on etc. This is what ive done so far. I replaced the battery I needed a new one. I checked the starter solenoid 12volts. no issue there. this was before the dead no power issue. I ended up ordering a ignition switch figuaring that s the issue with the intermittment hot hard start . So this past Tuesday I turned on the car everything worked fine. Then I turned on the headlights and the engine just turned off.and no power i turned the key over and no power so I left it there went to work .the next day on Wedneday I do the very same thing turn on the car engine is running early in the morning and turn on the headlights again everything just dies. No power etc.So today I installed the replacement ignition switch by the way the manuel makes it seem easy but getting to those small flat head screws is a son of bitch. my left knee is killing me. I finished the install 9pm and still no power whatsover. just the same as before.. damm $60 in a switch and 90 degree screwdrivers . Ive checked the fuses inside the car no issues there. I also checked the fuses that are by the battery. I think its 4fuses they are all intact from what i can see. Now Im thinking it s a fuel issue? But how can i test the fuel relays issues if there is no power going to the car? I have a bentley and went over the fuel issues but not much luck. appreciate any advice and what to look for next. Ive done all the basics. Battery checks out good. dist cap and rotor are farily new. spark plug wires are all connected. all fuses are good inside the car and also the small fuse box by the battery. any advice would be appreciated thank you

Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

If there is no power going to the car, get yourself a voltmeter and start at the battery. Check it first. You should have 12+v there measured from the + post to the chassis of the car. From that point, proceed along the wires from the + battery post to the fuses. Take measurements on each side of each fuses. Keep following the wires up to and through the ignition switch. Use the wiring diagrams in the Bentley manual to assist you.

Once you find a spot that doesn't have 12+ volts, then you have isolated your problem.

Good luck

Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Thanks I do have 12volts going from the battery. how do you check voltage into the ignition switch? do u ***** the wires with the voltmeter? I will keep you guys posted . when i get home today from work ill check. where is the fuel pump relay is that in the engine bay? I think this may be the issue ? Thanks for the help

Old 04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds like ignition switch issue. Recheck your work, make sure everything is plugged in and connected.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM

Ok ill recheck the my ignition switch install. Ill unplug and plug it again. Im hoping that its as simple as that. everything is in there tight i made sure but its a good idea to re-check. is there a way to test the ignition switch to see if its good or bad? or do u just need to plug it in and see if it works.. again those screws are a bitch to remove and install . thanks again

Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 PM
lev

So, do you have power to things that are NOT on the switch, like dome light, parking lights, etc?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 PM

To answer the question . NO power to dome light or parking lights the car is completely dead. I do have 12volts on the battery but i havent yet to check down the lines to see if there s any voltage going anywhere else. Ive checked all the fuses on the bottom drivers side panel and also the fuses by the battery. theyre all good i checked them visually no voltmeter yet.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main lead from the battery could be broken off at the eye where it bolts onto the main battery lug. The big wire from the battery only goes to the alternator and the starter. Another wire (much smaller, but probably the next biggest) goes to the main buss and from there to to fuses. I'd start with that one.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:02 PM

Update this morning I checked battery ,starter both checked out at 12 volts and checked the fuse block by the battery. This time I took each fuse out & low and behold fuse 60 a burned out at the bottom! Now I need a replacement fuse & also need to know if I need to Change the fuseblock? I'll try to post a pic of the box . I doubt just replacing the fuse will work . The fuse box where 60 a goes in the plastic melted but not very badly. Suspect better to replace?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 PM
lev

You may have some major electric meltdown at the fuse box, then all bets are off as far as weird stuff going on. If the fuse block is melted, then you may need another one...

Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM

I got the replacement fuse this morning at oreilys auto parts called a pal fuse 60a female. $4 installed the fuse and I got power back! Ignition switch worked engine turns on and I turned on lights radio etc to see if I had any issues so far none. Test drive sunday e