'93 240 Dying Frequently

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 240 Dying Frequently

I am typing this on my ohone so i apologize for spelling and grammar. My '93 240 is dying frequently. It does not shutter or anything, but rather just suddenly dies while going down the road. I had the fuel pump tested and it was fine. I dont know about the fuel pump relay though. I am definitely not very mechanically inclined. We put a diagnostic on it & the code for mass flow air sensor came up. We put in a new relay for it, but it is still dying. I do not want to put a new mass flow air sensor on it only to find out it still dies constantly. If anyone has any experience with this, or suggestions i would greatly appreciate the input.

Thankyou,

Jeremy

Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the fuel pump relay? Check the wire harness going to the fuel pump relay. Also check the yellow power wire to the fuel pum which runs under the drivers seat sometimes the wire gets worn and rubs on the frame and grounds out causing vehicle to

Originally Posted by jlmcendree
I am typing this on my ohone so i apologize for spelling and grammar. My '93 240 is dying frequently. It does not shutter or anything, but rather just suddenly dies while going down the road. I had the fuel pump tested and it was fine. I dont know about the fuel pump relay though. I am definitely not very mechanically inclined. We put a diagnostic on it & the code for mass flow air sensor came up. We put in a new relay for it, but it is still dying. I do not want to put a new mass flow air sensor on it only to find out it still dies constantly. If anyone has any experience with this, or suggestions i would greatly appreciate the input.

Thankyou,

Jeremy

Old 10-19-2011, 03:35 PM

You didn't say if it starts up sooner or later. My 1990 240 was doing something similar and it was very random. Mine would start up after several minutes. My mechanic said it was very likely the fuel pump relay since it was 21 years old. He said the relay contacts get burned and periodically loose contact. If I'd known I would have replaced it myself and saved money but that was the problem. It's under the passenger side kick panel.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 PM

I did replace the fuel pump relay, and now it wont start at all. Yhe mechanic ran a fuel pressure test and charged me $300!! I let him know that his bill was b.s., especially since he did absolutely nothing other than the pressure test &the putting in a new fuel pump relay (which he charged me $70$300 for) and i could have got one at napa for $14. Needless to say i took the car to a different mechanic. I mentioned the mass flow air sensor. Anyone think that might be it? What is the radio supression relay for. Also i. read where it could be the crank position sensor (not sure if that is exactly what its called) All i know is that i am sick of walking everywhere,
much more $$into it, well

Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 PM

Sorry about typos. Using my phone again. In closing, i love my swedish ride, but if i cant get this fixed soon, it might find its way into a yard for parts. Grrr....its been 2a months since i have drove anywhere &the my lab is pretty ticked off that i havent taken her swimming in that time frame. Any more suggestions??

Old 10-27-2011, 01:46 AM
lev
Received 135 Likes on 125 Posts

Change the MAF Sensor. Most likely this is it. It could be other things like the Crank Position Sensor but unfortunately this is the process, there is some guesswork involved.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Check your crank position sensor. The sensor is located on top of the bell housing where the engine and transmission mate. There is a wire that runs from the sensor to a connector on the firewall. Check for cracked insulation and/or fraying. You could jiggle it while someone cranks the engine.

With the sort of age on these cars, this is a common source of intermittant failures.