93 240 oil pan removal and PS leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 240 oil pan removal and PS leak?

So the cylinder head quest is still in motion and found a nice leaky gasket on the oil pan (the front of it looked like it was split open, lots of goopy oily mess). Got all the bolts off (including the stupid one you have to pretty much take off the engine mount for). And in Haynes manual style it says to "remove the oil fan from the engine". WTH Haynes!

I tried twisting, pushing, pulling twisting some more, pulling, tilting, rocking, rolling, screaming, cursing, spitting and crying and it won't come out.

Help. And of course Haynes' "installation is the reverse of removal", isn't going to fly I'll kill the gasket.

Also, looks like I might have a power steering leak? I should have taken a pic, but right by the driver side engine mount there are two lines that come down to banjo bolts, I'm guessing these are power steering lines? One looks like it has a hose/clamp and goes onto the "stem" down to the banjo bolt but it's split and leaking (more like oozing) fluid.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the power steering lines would run directly from the power steering pump to the steering rack, they don't go anywhere else.

what did these banjo fittings go into ? and where was the other end of these hoses ?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

To take off the oil pan, you have to lift the motor so the pan will clear the crossmember. For that you need to at least loosen the mounts so there will be room to move the motor up when jacked from the front by the crank pulley.

The PS, just try tightening the bolts. If that doesn't do it, take them off see what's leaking.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 AM

When I cleaned off all the sludge you could see separation and cracks/nicks out of the gasket. I have the whole thing apart anyway for the new cylinder head and the one engine mount was toast too, so it's not really putting me out that much.

Will raising the engine from the crank pulley hurt anything? I've seen those bars that go across on the strut towers and then chains around the engine to lift, if the crank pulley does the same thing no need for that. Speaking of crank pulleys, any tips for getting that thing off? (after the oil pan is done of course).

Pierce, I'll take pics when I'm back under there, had the last four days off but working through Xmas right now so she's taking a back seat for a few days.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd be borrowing an engine hoist if I had to lift my engine. I've helped friends do it with assorted alternate methods, like a block and tackle across the crossbeam of an old barn, and using the right tool for the job beats them all.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Lifting the motor a bit by the crank pulley is perfectly fine as long as you use a piece of wood between the jack and the pulley. You are not lifting the whole motor out, but just a couple of inches or so, enough to pull the pan out.

I use the "rope trick" to loosen the pulley: Take the #1 spark plug out, stuff some sturdy not flaking rope in the cylinder hole, and using a 1/2 " bar and a socket (22mm?) undo the pulley bolt.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:18 PM

somewhat success.

Pan is off, had to take the pump out too. New gasket good to go, BUT.

any tricks or tips for getting the pump back in with the pan in place?

I got the pan in place and can just fit my hand in to get the pump in place but I'm stuck trying to get the bolts in. If I had three or four hands it would be cake. But drawing a blank. Or is it just keep trying til you get it?