93 240 Starting/idling rough, then smoothing out..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 240 Starting/idling rough, then smoothing out..

My 93 245 has acquired a recent problem. It has 187k, runs great most of the time, has a recent tune-up, and I am a normal driver.

Problem: When I start the car, it might run/idle rough, and smoke bluish smoke. After a little while of running it, it smooths out on it's own, smoke goes away, and it runs awesome like usual. This morning, for instance, I went out at about 6:45am to see if it was going to act up, it started perfectly. I went back out at 7:00 and it started/idled rough, and in about 45-90 seconds it smoothed out, and ran good the remainder of the day.

I'm thinking it's a fuel problem from reading other posts, and I am on a limited budget and want to fix the problem the 1st time around.

I swapped the MAF to a good used one, that made no difference.
I checked to see if the Fuel Pump Relay was clicking on with the ignition, and it is.

It runs great, up/down hills, so I don't think it's a fuel pump problem.

I'm down to Fuel Pressure Regulator (not sure how to check).
O2 Sensor
TPS
Fuel Filter.

This problem started coming on about a month ago, and has gotten progressively worse. It did die on me once yesterday in the afternoon, right after starting it and pulling out onto the street. (this is why I think it's a fuel problem)

The funny thing is, is in the morning it always smooths out after a bit of running. ??

Thanks in advance!