'93 Volvo 940 intermittent electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 Volvo 940 intermittent electrical problems

Hey everyone, I'm hoping you can help me track down some electrical problems with my '93 940.

The most annoying thing is the power windows. When I crank the car to start it, if I don't hold the power switches to activate the windows, the windows will not work at all. If I hold the switches in the down or up position when I crank it, then they will work... for a while. Then they will stop working a few minutes later and might start working again a few miles down the road, but might not.

Another thing is the gas gauge, it's usually stuck at half, but then will go up and down sometimes. And sometimes the gauge will go up and down as my left turn signal blinks.

When I turn my headlights on, the high beam indicator, left turn signal indicator and fog light indicator all come on when these things are not even activated. But when I do activate them, they work and the indicator lights fade in and out.

It also does other wacky things at times but there's no pattern to any of it. Some days it will be ok and some days all of these issues pop up, sometimes only one or two issues pop up.

Since this is the first non-American car I've ever owned I have no idea where to start looking. Any advice is greatly appreciated!