940 ignition mysteries and other war stories

Old 02-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 940 ignition mysteries and other war stories

hello forum,
thank you for the info i have already scoured in this group. it's been very helpful, except in a situation that i have yet to read about. i bought a wrecked '94 940 with a single cam turbo and the distributor mounted at the back against the cam. i replaced the hood and headlights, and tie bar, banged out the rest to fit and started driving it. it has 110,000 miles. after driving about 1K miles it developed a no start condition. occasionally i would get a CEL but it was intermittent and i knew the evap had been disabled, so i considered that to be the pending code. the only other issue was the OD wouldn't' shift and i would get the OD light, but after driving a bit the problem seems to have disappeared.
The code condition i got with the no start was pointing to the "rpm sensor" which i took as the cam hall effect (RPM) sensor, i believe that is how it's listed in the lit. i searched high and low, from the dealership to ebay and found no RPM sensor that wasn't incorrectly listed as a crank sensor. at this time i decided to bite the bullet for a spectra rebuilt distributor. not knowing the condition of the cap and rotor, i thought it would be a good deal because it also came with a new capacitor (which i confused with a hall effect pickup.) when i got the distributor it had the hall effect window wheel, the pickup and NO LEADS OR PLUG???. at this point i just keep on digging. i removed the old dist and proceeded to inspect it, finding the inside covered in oil from bad shaft seals and the insulated washer was in pieces leaving a huge end play gap that did no damage to the cap, but let the tang grind into the housing a bit. what was missing and after closer inspection, revealed was never there, was the pickup and window wheel. no holes drilled for the pick up mount, no wheel, no plastic cover, just a cap and rotor, and no place that shows evidence there ever was anything else. this is a bosch part and appears to be OEM. shrug shoulders, install new aftermarket dist in correct orientation, assembled cap, attached leads to plugs and coil, still no spark. i then surmise that W/O any engine rotation info from the distributor, the coil will not fire, and i only can find one other source for that input, the CKP sensor. i unplugged it set meter to 00.00 and got OL (open line) between poles marked one and two. to check meter, i pinned one and three got OL, pinned 2 and 3 got 17K-20K. earlier i read it should be between 17.0 and 35.0 between one and two. do i have the numbers right? anyone have any idea where my cam position sensor went? i found a two pin connection near the disabled tank vent, that is the only unattributed plug i can find. did mine not come with a cam (RPM) sensor? anyway i am getting a crank sensor from amazon and will try my luck tuesday. any input would be helpful. i have 12V ( constantly rechecked) and no A/C voltage across coil when checking while cranking. i think the reading was supposed to be around 2.5 V. the last bit, and maybe important is the CARB sticker for a MSD coil fitment.
thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way

Last edited by cheesewedge; 02-11-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:55 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

a 94 turbo is bousch lh 2.4, and has no hall sensor in the distributor, instead it has a crank position sensor on the back of the head, stuck into the bell housing and reading notches on the flywheel/flexplate.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks Pierce!

ok! the crank sensor is coming tomorrow, thanks for the info. now that it's of no importance, what is the hall effect deal w/o a pigtail or any kind of connection in this aftermarket distributor? new brand for me here, came to me by chance, i'm liking it.
i'll post my progress as it happens. thank you pierce again, for setting something straight that the part catalogues and breakdown lists can make confusing.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:54 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

that just means they use the same mechanical parts for the distributor with or without the hall sensor (740's up to 88 used a hall sensor for timing).