940 turbo cluster interchange 1992

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 940 turbo cluster interchange 1992

Greetings,

I'm looking for a known good instrument cluster for my 940 turbo sedan. I was told by the local junkyard Hollander says 91-92 740 and 940 will interchange. My question is if a 91-92 NA dash will work, as I'm going with an aftermarket vac/boost gauge. Or perhaps can I swap over the stock boost gauge into the NA cluster. Thank you.

Cheers, mike

Old 07-15-2012, 12:48 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, anything is possible, as far "swapping" in the gauge but I doubt it will be a great looking job. If you can pull that off, well, you would be the MAN!

As far as using a NA panel in a Turbo, hm, good question... I have both those cars in my driveway and I am about to refloat the solder on the NA so I may just be tempted to oull the Turbo pod and compare BUT just a visual "looksee" may not be 100% reliable. Guessing, I'd say it would probably work...

Now, if you just need the SPEEDO, why are you worried about the whole cluster? Just swap the speedos. The rest, if there are problems, you just need to refloat the solder in certain places--I have done it many times.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lev,

Thanks for the reply! Since I had my cluster out and reinstalled it, the cluster seems to be behaving itself. I pushed all the plugs back on firmly, making sure nothing was loose.. this may have been it [crossed fingers.. **LOL**].

However, since you have a few spares out on the bench, perhaps it would be a great experiment to see if the parts swap over. I just got done adding a tacho to my F150 truck using this method. Luckily, the design was modular enough to allow "plug and pray" operation with the components from a full sized Ford explorer. It worked a treat and looks 100% stock..

Thus, I wonder if the pod, or component with the turbo needle will fit into the NA housing... You'd have to drill out the housing in order to pass the the line fitting for the turbo gauge and also 2 holes for the mounting, but that might be all you need, as the turbo gauge has no other electrical connections as I could see... Food for thought.

It would be great info in the how-to section as well.. and give turbo drivers another option..

[I'll have to go out and see if I can dig up an NA cluster myself now.. Lots more of those than the turbo clusters...]

P.S. Which of the solder joints do you redo? Mine looked all uniform, tho the capacitors attached to the bottom of the cluster looked a little funky. You are referring to the solder joints on the Mylar flexible PC board, correct? Lots of those to do...

Cheers,
Mike