Aftermarket CD player and Power Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket CD player and Power Antenna

Hello guys, I have a 88 740 Wagon and I'm trying to install a aftermarket head unit.

Now I removed my factory amp completely! I was wondering if I needed any power wires connected to the factory amp for the power antenna to still work. I got everything working fine but the power antenna isn't powering up. And I can't see to find the correct to use.

I have a red and gray wire left and they both didn't work for the power antenna.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 AM

did you use the factory wire harness adapter for this? The aftermarket color for power antenna is blue. It should only allow the antenna to go up when you have the radio tuner selected. If you don't have a solid blue...the blue with white stripe will work. This is the remote wire used to turn an amplifier on. If you use this one, the antenna will go up regardless if you're using the tunner or CD player.

However, if you spliced everything together without the use of factory adapters then you're probably looking for the red wire. It could be that one or more of the other wires aren't connected properly thus grounding out the red wire you already tried.

This is a pretty generic list of color codes for Volvo but it worked for my 240...the 740 might have an extra wire or two for security but everything else should be the sam
P o w e r
Memory (+12v Constant) Green
Ignition (+12v Switched) Black
Ground (-) Fat Black
Illumination Yellow (not on plug)
Dimmer (none)
Power Antenna Red
S p e a k e r s
Right Front (+) Gray/White
Right Front (-) Gray
Left Front (+) Blue/Yellow
Left Front (-) White
Right Rear (+) Green/Brown
Right Rear (-) Green
Left Rear (+) Yellow/Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow/Green

hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 AM

Thanks cbevis!

I figured it out. I was using the wrong wire and the switch for the power antenna was off. Causing total frustration. I didn't even know this car had a toggle switch for the antenna.... Duh! Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 AM

Enjoy the tunes cobra3. Hope the old girlis still running well!!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:07 AM

Oh yeah gforce! Only thing I need to fix is my noisy heater fan I quick-fixed with WD-40. Its almost to the point I can hear it over my new stereo!!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra_03
Oh yeah gforce! Only thing I need to fix is my noisy heater fan I quick-fixed with WD-40. Its almost to the point I can hear it over my new stereo!!
WD-40 is not a lubricant!!! lol....I remember my old man smacking me upside the head because I was using WD-40 on my bike chain to "lube" it up. WD = Water Displacement.....(40 = 40th try to get it right....who knew?) Anyhoo...it's a penetrant. Now that you've got it all cleaned up though, try using a little 3 in 1 on the bearing.....that might quiet it down a bit?