almost have it fixed one more thing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIPSP
Yes. Air fuel ratio gauge.

The a/f is controlled with the o2 sensor and computer. It controls the frequency valve for the fuel distributor. The co mixture adjustment only adjusts the metering plate... It's really only for idle control, but it does move the opening position for the meter plunger in the distributor.
Is the fuel distributor that big god damn it of fuel lines in the top of the air box? Also now that this is going on it seems to idle higher at start up and doesnt kick down as fast i took a video of it smoking i have to have my wife put it on her youtube channel then ill post the link. I havent had a chance to make one with the gauges yet so you can see how it will just stop accelerating

Old 03-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look through this pdf. It gives an over view of the system and settings.

http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbook...on_repairs.pdf

Old 03-16-2016, 10:47 PM

Look through this pdf. It gives an over view of the system and settings.

http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbook...on_repairs.pdf
Sweet ill print it out at work tomorrow

Old 03-17-2016, 01:56 AM
Got Boost?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM

Craziest thing happened yesterday. Got home and started tinkering with the volvo. I had my other mechanic buddy come by and give me a hand. We kinda just looked around and then we took it for a drive. The exhaust looked like the head gasket popped and it kinda felt the same. We kept on to the frewway since i knew that all the fluids were full. We ran it really hard down the freeway and boom 80 mph. YAY!!!! It seems like there was maybe a blockage in my intercooler from the old turbo blowing so much oil through it from being messed up. The smoke cleared up and it was running good. So im going to start it when i get home now that it had a chance to cool down and sit over night. so hopefully a good update this weekend and the start of a build thread.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54nlfHaxi4

Heres the video of the exhaust smoking. Dont worry when it took a couple time to start all it was was one of the pipes for the turbo popped off when i was reving it thel the smoke starts after that. good thing it cleared up last night. Hopefully it stays that way when i get home tonight.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Default Figured it out

She told me what she needed today. Timing belt snapped and is hanging out of a hole in my timing cover. Im going to start taking it apart this weekend and buy my timing belt on wednesday when i get paid and hopefully be back on the road friday

Old 03-18-2016, 10:21 PM
no mo volvo
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

you typically need to replace the tensioner when you do the timing belt

Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
you typically need to replace the tensioner when you do the timing belt
Im going to get the whole kit if they have one with tensioner and guides all of it

Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Default ???

Is the B21FT a non interference engine? Please say so.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Got Boost?

Yes...

Old 03-21-2016, 10:51 PM
no mo volvo

AFAIK, only some european high compression 'E engines (B23E, etc) are potentially interference, although if a B230F has had its head shaved one too many times, it could become borderline.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:14 AM

thanks guys. I saw one thing about if you have the IPD cam then you can be or if it was shaved more then 1.5mm but on autozones site when i was looking up parts they had 2 tensioners and one said interference applications and one didn't but they both looked exactly the same.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:39 PM

Ok runability wise the old girl is running awesome thank you everyone for helping me out. Now im chasing an oil leak. Looks like either the corner of the valve cover, oil sending unit, or a cam seal. It doesnt appear to leak when its idleing in the driveway and im sitting there looking at it. If i go drive around the block a few times probably about 5-10 mins worth of driving the my water pump will be coverd in oil as well as the alternator and the front of the exhaust manifold. Any ideas i can post a pic tomorrow once its light out again

Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 PM
no mo volvo

wash it off with gunk and hose water to degrease it and put some UV dye in the oil, then after dark, do a /short/ drive, and hit it with the UV light, I bet it will show right up.

oil on the front exhaust side of the valve cover-to-head seal is often from the camshaft seal, and it blows back to where you see it.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 PM

wash it off with gunk and hose water to degrease it and put some UV dye in the oil, then after dark, do a /short/ drive, and hit it with the UV light, I bet it will show right up.

oil on the front exhaust side of the valve cover-to-head seal is often from the camshaft seal, and it blows back to where you see it.
I have cleaned it off with brake clean a couple times. I dont know when the valve cover was done last. I tried to tighten it and the bolt in the corner right there snapped off immediatly without barely turning it so i wonder if that might have been part of it. Also when i first got the car running a few months ago the exhaust gasket was completly gone in the front. The exhaust coming out of there was actually hot enough to burn and melt apart a spark plug wire as well as melt a hole in the timing cover. I think that in part was why my timing belt failed. It looked glazed like the outside of it got hot. Do you think that the heal from that could have dried out and cracked that seal all of a sudden. This oil leak just showed up a couple weeks ago after the turbo swap was finished.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:12 PM

Just a before and after pic of the engine bay from this series of repairs. Valve cover gasket and camshaft oil seal are on the way. Im going to paint the valve cover today and do the intake next week when i replace the intake gasket on good measure just so i doesnt blow out on me and cause problems in the future

Attached Thumbnails almost have it fixed one more thing-img233.jpg   almost have it fixed one more thing-20160326_173225.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 03:57 AM
no mo volvo

eek, I wouldn't use brake kleen on the engine, that stuff is way too strong for all the electricals and hoses and stuff. of course, the new eco-friendly 'kleen prolly ain't half as bad.

no, what I was talking about was a detergent degreaser. I've been using the 'Gunk' brand stuff in the trigger pump bottle instead of aerosol. squirt that on, optionally a bit of brushing, hose off.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 AM

eek, I wouldn't use brake kleen on the engine, that stuff is way too strong for all the electricals and hoses and stuff. of course, the new eco-friendly 'kleen prolly ain't half as bad.

no, what I was talking about was a detergent degreaser. I've been using the 'Gunk' brand stuff in the trigger pump bottle instead of aerosol. squirt that on, optionally a bit of brushing, hose off.
They for sure dont make it like they used to. Ill try the gunk out. Whats the range i can set my timing before its bad. We got it set at i think 13 or 14 degrees. Its supposed to be 12 give or take 2. How much advance can i go and how much can i gain? Is it even worth it?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:05 AM

my homemade cam shaft gear tool.

Quick Reply: almost have it fixed one more thing