Alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator problems

Hi guys,
Well it seems that I might have another problem with my 1986 240GL. Tonight I checked the alternator and it doesn't appear to be charging. I know with other cars I've owned I could use a screwdriver to check the alternator for charge. Simply place the tip of the screwdriver against the shat of the alternator and if there is a magnetic "pull" on the blade then the alternator is working. Well after having done this to my car, I've decided that I have a problem
Now what got me wondering if my alternator was working is that my battery light doesn't come on when I turn the key on. I have checked the bulb and it is good so I'm wondering what might be the problem. I read in another post that unless the bulb is working, the alternator won't put out a charge so what problems are involved in the bulb not working when the bulb is obviously good?
Hopefully someone can give me some insight on what to check concerning this bulb. I was really hoping that when I pulled the bulb it would be blown. Oh well, just my luck.
All of the other idiot lights come on as they are supposed to so I assume that my instrument panel doesn't have a problem. Please try to respond if you have any ideas on this problem.
Thanks a lot,
Dave

Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Default RE: Alternator problems

Are you actually having a problem with the alternator, or are you just concerned about the light?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply....
The alternator is not charging as far as I can tell. When I check a voltage reading at the battery (with the car running), I only get 12 volts. Also, as I stated above, I get no pull against a screwdriver when placed against the alternator shaft with the car running. This is the quickest way I know of to check out an alternator. Of course I am concerned the the light is not working because I like having the warning light in case there is a problem in the future. From what I've read on here if the light is blown, that can stop the entire charging system from working so I figured that was a good place to start. The only problem is that the light was not blown so now I'm going to have to look elsewhere for the problem.
I'm basically needing to know what wires to check for this problem. If you have any ideas I'd really like to hear them.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-02-2007, 06:37 PM

If the battery warning light doesn't come on when you turn on the ignition switch, the alternator won't charge the battery. So step 1 is to figure out why the battery light doesn't come on. Most likely a burned out bulb, orbad connection from the bulb to the ignition switch or from the bulb to the alternator.