Any Kentuckiers here/ 240 Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Louisville KY Junkyard report

Hi all,
I've been reading these forums for quite a bit now, been able to take care of My parents' 940 (with a few really nice repairs that I learned about straight from here), and I finally have my own Volvo ('93 245, 227k miles) to care for and enjoy! Bought it just yesterday.

Are there any users here that are in KY, specifically Louisville? The main question I have in my head now is are there any 'Pick and Pull' style junkyards around here where I can go and look for odds and ends...(tach, rear head rests, etc...)? I'd prefer to go to a place where I can pull things out my self but if there are none of those around well then that's ok too.

Things on the to do list, which I'm trying to decide if I can do myself or have a shop do:

--Ball Joints- easy or not? What can go wrong?
--Torque Rod Bushings- have seen some posts on it (also on Brickboard)- seems like a tough job for someone without all the right tools...
--RPM sensor (aka crankshaft position sensor, engine speed sensor) I'm pretty sure I can do this, just worried about the mounting plate breaking on removal...?
--Rear engine seal leaks a little- I'll let a shop do this...
--Tailgate wiring- I can do this- does anybody know the wire gauge and temp rating of the wires that go through there? I figure I'll just get the proper wire and splice/solder rather than order a harness kit...

Any tips or lessons learned from experience are greatly appreciated!

Last question- I've heard that the Bentley books are the best, next best is the Haynes, and then___? Manual recommendations anyone?

Thanks all- Off to the garage!!!
Koos

Last edited by k; 10-17-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. Live down in E'town. www.gradeaautoparts.com (Amen Autoparts) in Shepherdsville is a Pick & Pull yard. Don't know whether they have any Volvo parts but check them out.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 PM
k

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome...
I've heard of Grade A but never been there. Just looking on line I found two other pick and pull type lots a bit to the west of the airport/in the region of Iroquois Park...Bessler Auto parts and 'Pull-a-Part'
Weather permitting I'll try them out this week- not sure on the Bessler status but the PullaPart website says they have at least 2 volvos in there...

Happy motoring!
Koos

Old 10-17-2009, 02:04 PM
k
Default Louisville KY scrapyard report

Hi again,
I visited Grade A as well as Pull A Part in Southern Louisville yesterday- and have discovered the joy of scrapyard scavenging...gold mines is what they should really be called.

Grade A was alright- 3 Volvo's in there; 240, 740, 850 and off of the 240 I got:
- a nice aluminum wheel with good tire (this will be my spare) $35
-the instrument cluster and little clock (I'll stick the large tach in my car, and now I have spare interior bulbs) But silly me, I did not take the wiring harness from the clock, I'll have to rig it. lesson for next time- take everything you can get your paws on... $10

One comment about Grade A is that it is little poorly set up- cars are real close together, in puddles and mud, and some seem to be a little precariously perched. But- since I got some nice things from it- it was still nice.

Pull-a-Part, just a couple miles from Grade A (off Newburg Rd) is really a great scrapyard- very clean, all the cars are set up stable and well spaced out, and they had a good number of Volvos- 2 240's, 8 740's, and maybe a 850 or two. Lot's to choose from, lots to pass by...I got:
- Head rests (for the rear bench) and a good color match- $10
- Proper Volvo Jack kit $5
- Original 240 horns (I've got to fix mine at the moment and noticed it wasn't the orig. horn on there- and I want it to sound the same as it did when I was a kid...call it nostalgia...) $10
- Bulb Failure relay- good to have a spare- $2.50- these will easily be $50 and up at a store...
-And a front skid plate and misc trim bits...there's a 3rd seat out there I might go back and get but I'll have to think about it...

A nice treasure hunt for the day...I'll be back for more at some point. Again, Pull a Part is a really nice place. So far those are the only DIY parts places I've found...but it's a good start, at least there's something!

Happy motoring
Koos