Any pointers on doing a heater core in my 240?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any pointers on doing a heater core in my 240?

Hi everyone!
Well, I have a heater core leak in my beloved 1993 240 wagon. I need to replace it very soon, the foggy window is getting annoying and unsafe. I have done them in other cars and I have read the procedure in the Bentley, I was hoping to get some pointers from someone who has done this before.
How much time should I allow for me to tackle this project? I'm pretty good with this stuff, and I do like to take my time and do things right. Anything I should look out for?
Thanks!
Scott

Old 12-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Any pointers on doing a heater core in my 240?

Sorry but never gad to do one.
One thing the Sweeds know how to do is make Good Heat.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any pointers on doing a heater core in my 240?

Hi All! Saw this post and just had to sign up and say something...I have an 86 240 DL with 420 K and the fan blades seemed to be catching on something and making a horrible noise. Haynes manual provided a great exploded view of the heater assembley but was sparse on direction on how to actually get the the unit out from under the dash.

After removing the center console and about a thousand other logical things, the unit slides sideways towards the (removed) glove compartment and then out. Remove the left and right fan housing clips and outer covers and then left and right fan blades...caution here to mark fan orientation to the axle as they are apparently balanced at the factory. On the drivers side there are three screws holding the fan motor to the housing...once these are removed along with thr rest of the retaining clips, the housing literally splits apart and you can remove the heater core.

Getting the unit out was a real bear for a laneway automotive type such as myself...about 8 hours. My problem seems to be a motor bearing on the passenger side axle of the motor. The axle has lots of play and the fan blades wobble and catch something inside. I hope to have the motor rebuilt.

As this part time job will take several weeks, I separated fasteners into imprtant groups and labelled them in bags. Every time a vacuum line was removed I labelled it. Lots of ground wires to keep track of.

Cheers,
Rene