see if anyone has any real pointers..........

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default see if anyone has any real pointers..........

lets take it from the top. picked up a yard ornament 88' 745 turbo for cheap. It was siting for 8 years when i towed it home. I'm slowleytaking care if getting it back in running condition.
my mechanical backround is healthy, between aircraft, heavy equipment, industrial lifts, i've worked on it all. so im looking at anything tha can give me so e simple mods that i can start out with to give my wagon a little more *** when i hit the skinny pedal?
i have also been asking what year make and model i am lookng to remove a 15 g turbo fom, and whatis all involved in the swap
think as if you were the new owner of the 745 and tell me what you would do basically

Old 12-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, let's start w/ what we know. Your 88 has the B230FT K low friction motor. That means skinny 9mm con rods rather than the 13mm rods of 84- and brought back in 91. Your car came from the factory making 7-8 psi boost. The stock turbo is good for 12-13 psi, maybe a bit more. I used to max my T3 out at 16psi. After that point, the stock intercooler is basically blowing hot air. Which brings us to the next upgrade point, the intercooler. Swap in an intercooler from an NPR Isuzu box truck, fits well and much more efficient. Add an RSI Stg II cam or IPD turbo cam for higher rpm power. Swap out the log style exhaust manifold for the 90+ style, it flows better and does well w/ a bit of porting and gasket matching. Add large fuel injectors, they must be low resistance. The brown top injector from the mid 80's Turbo birds are a significant improvement. Add a manual boost controller for $20 and ease the boost up. There is an overboost switch under the dash; rather than remove it or unplug it, I simply insert golf tee's into the two vac lines.
Can't forget the suspension and brakes...IPD sway bars, Bilstein or Koni dampers, fully functioning brakes and decent tires.
With: bigger injectors, more boost w/ mbc and the turbo cam, I was dusting non-modified Fox body 5.0's.
Serious mods require serious money and serious planning...if you twist the wick on the boost, get a wide band O2 sensor so you don't melt a piston!!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44
Well, let's start w/ what we know. Your 88 has the B230FT K low friction motor. That means skinny 9mm con rods rather than the 13mm rods of 84- and brought back in 91. Your car came from the factory making 7-8 psi boost. The stock turbo is good for 12-13 psi, maybe a bit more. I used to max my T3 out at 16psi. After that point, the stock intercooler is basically blowing hot air. Which brings us to the next upgrade point, the intercooler. Swap in an intercooler from an NPR Isuzu box truck, fits well and much more efficient. Add an RSI Stg II cam or IPD turbo cam for higher rpm power. Swap out the log style exhaust manifold for the 90+ style, it flows better and does well w/ a bit of porting and gasket matching. Add large fuel injectors, they must be low resistance. The brown top injector from the mid 80's Turbo birds are a significant improvement. Add a manual boost controller for $20 and ease the boost up. There is an overboost switch under the dash; rather than remove it or unplug it, I simply insert golf tee's into the two vac lines.
Can't forget the suspension and brakes...IPD sway bars, Bilstein or Koni dampers, fully functioning brakes and decent tires.
With: bigger injectors, more boost w/ mbc and the turbo cam, I was dusting non-modified Fox body 5.0's.
Serious mods require serious money and serious planning...if you twist the wick on the boost, get a wide band O2 sensor so you don't melt a piston!!
Thanks for feedback that was usable for a change. If the stock turbo can push 12psi, I'd be happy with that. Since the aircraft turbo applications are a hair different than automotive, I'm trying to learn as much as i can. This is my first turbo car I've ever owned.
Did i mention this car is going to be the kid hauler for the kid coming in march? I'm looking to definatly do suspension for handling and looks, going to order kaplhenke coilovers and IPD swaybars. I'd like to run replica pegasus wheels also. Looking for clean and low.
As far as getting a possible 12psi for the stock turbo, how exactly can i achieve this? and will the manual boost controller do this? and if I'm not mistaken, the boost controller controls the wastegate? I'd like to do internal mods if any later down the road. I need this car reliable, and running well, but I can't let it be too stock, that's just not me.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

If you have modest goals of, say, 12 psi you really don't need to do much other than a good solid stage zero and add an mbc.
Normally, the wastegate is controlled directly by the pressure of the charged airexiting the compressor. The mbc mounts inline w/ the pressure hose and bleeds off a bit of pressure, thereby not allowing the wastegate actuator to see all the boost being generated. This is much simpler than actually adjusting the rod on the actuator. In the following pic, you can see the red silicone hose lead from the charge air nipple on the compressor and connect w/ the blue mbc. The other red hose runs from the mbc to the wastegate. Adjustment is trial and error.
Name:  PICT0002-21.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  65.1 KB
I highly recommend a boost gauge numeric overlay from davebarton.com Dave does super work...here's the final result...
Name:  PICT0005-2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  74.0 KB
Kapplhenke coilovers are wicked...but pricey too.Not to discourage you from buying Ben's stuff, but just how low do you want your dd baby hauler to be? My 90 has Bili HD's, 25/25 sways and Lesjofors sport springs...not dumped by any means but I still have to ease over speed bumps...
Name:  PICT0001jkl.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  48.4 KB

Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 PM

Wow, why can't everyone have simple details instructions? Thank you so much for simply showing me a pic of a mbc. And sorry for the other newbie question, what exactly does a stage zero entail?
I am definately going to pick up one of those boost guage overlays, what a difference and it looks great and factory.
As far as suspension goes, kaplhenke does put it on the gound, but my biggest concern is adjustability. i fear if i get say something like IPD sport springs, i would end up not being happy with the end result of overall height, ride, and front vs. rear ride height. Your 740 is close to what I'm looking for as far as stance goes, so i might just goe ahead and purchace a set of IPD sport springs. Thanls again for all your input, and if you happen to have ANY jeep questions for some reason, let me know. i most likely have the answer.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Meh, stage zero is a vague term thrown around all the time without ever being pinned down and defined. To me it means getting the car back as close as possible to new condition. Brakes, shocks, bushings, belts, O2 sensor, hoses, plugs, cap, rotor and...uber important for turbo cars...replacing every single freakin' vacuum hose under the hood. Underhood temps are elevated on turbo cars and vac hoses pull double duty by carrying positive pressure under boost. Turbo cars can have vac hose leaks that will not show w/ a smoke machine as the leaks may only present when under boost. Unless the car has a verified history, I just swap them all out. I don't really consider it as throwing parts at a problem, just removes potential issues from the get-go and lets me concentrate on other stuff. There's no limit to the mods available for 740's!
Name:  100_4335.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  75.7 KB

Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Thats what i'm in the process of oing right now. Finally had the first day since i bought it to work on it. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires are done, next are the crappy looking vacum lines. I am still looking fo the bast way to drain the fuel tank and clean the fuel system. Thanks for the pointers to get this old bick back on the road with some upgrades. I have to do something different around PA, never see a modified volvo on the road.