Automotive Shop Teacher Looking For Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automotive Shop Teacher Looking For Info

Hi I am a High school show teacher. I have a 1988 Volvo 740 I believe based on this Vin Number I decoded (YV1FX8741J3238429). From what I can tell I have a B230FT engine. I am looking for information on this engine, but I can't find alot, I want to learn what I can about it to see if its worth using as a learning tool in my class, and I have never worked on a volvo car before, or a turbo charged engine for that matter.

Can anyone steer me towards a good resource on this engine?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure someone will be along here to point ya in the right direction... but them fellas at turbobricks.com know pretty much everything and every resource/ link on that engine. And the forum is VERY active.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmcghee
Hi I am a High school show teacher. I have a 1988 Volvo 740 I believe based on this Vin Number I decoded (YV1FX8741J3238429). From what I can tell I have a B230FT engine. I am looking for information on this engine, but I can't find alot, I want to learn what I can about it to see if its worth using as a learning tool in my class, and I have never worked on a volvo car before, or a turbo charged engine for that matter.

Can anyone steer me towards a good resource on this engine?

A Volvo B230FT engine is as good as any to teach or learn on. Not sure what info your looking for but I have have been able to find everything I have ever needed for the B230, parts , torque specs., etc. You can also still get paper (book)manuals for these to.

To make explanation of a turbo simple, its just an air pump that runs off the exhaust pressure. As the exhaust exits trough the manifold it spins a turbine, that turbine is connected to another turbine (the cold side) and pressurizes your intake. Thats all it is. Then there are things that at first glance make it look complicated. water inlet in and a water inlet out for cooling, and then oil in and out for lubing.

If you need anything specific feel free to ask.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just looking for info, specifically how difficult it would be to remove and replace, like and engine swap, depending on how many wires etc. The car itself is in serious delapitation, I have one student suggesting for fun we should swap it into a Jeep we have here for fun, interesting idea.... And thanks for the info, I am familiar with a turbo, in fact we just turbo charged a 10 hp riding lawn mower with a turbo from one of these engines!!

Old 03-18-2017, 01:50 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the B230F(T) is about as simple as a cast iron block SOHC 4-cyl can get. the 88 uses Bosch LH2.2 fuel injection, which is also very simple. The ECU (fuel injection control unit) and ICU (ignition control unit) are separate, both are located in the passenger compartment, the ICU is behind the dashboard, while the ECU is just forward of the front right hand lower door hinge, so the engine harness extends through the firewall..

in turbo trim, the engine was rated at 160BHP and 190 ft-lbs of torque, with a very broad torque curve and very little turbo lag.

the automatic transmission on an 88 turbo is probably a Aisin-Warner AW71, which is a heavy duty version of the same basic transmission used on 1980s toyota pickup trucks and many RWD toyotas such as Turbo Supras from that time frame. The rear axle is a Dana 30, similar to the front axle of a Jeep CJ and JK (wrangler).

Volvo published extensive service manuals on every aspect of those cars, these are collectively known as 'green books' (they have green covers). These are out of print, but collections show up on ebay. the wiring manual in particular is model year specific, the other books are mostly model range specific.

Last edited by pierce; 03-18-2017 at 01:54 PM.