B230 Water Pump Install

Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B230 Water Pump Install

I've done this job successfully twice before on a 1990 240, and a 1989 740, but I'm just about worn out after four hours on this one. The instructions for installing the water pump tell me to push the pump up to compress the gasket to the head, and to tighten the nuts on the studs and install the bolts, tightening in a cross-wise pattern. Great! But how the heck do you push the pump up far enough to even get the bolts into the threads? Previously I tightened the nut next to the timing belt, then put a cut-off broomstick in the inlet pipe and levered the pump up to compress the gasket, and tightened the nut near the inlet. None of the bolts line up at that point, so I back off the first nut and lever the pump the other way. But it's like shooting in the dark, and this time around I first broke the side out of the inlet (on a Hepu pump), then after buying a new (Gates) pump, broke the top bolt off.

So I gotta be missing soimething. How do you "push" the pump to compress the gasket against the head, while also getting the bolts aligned for tightening?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcintorb
I've done this job successfully twice before on a 1990 240, and a 1989 740, but I'm just about worn out after four hours on this one. The instructions for installing the water pump tell me to push the pump up to compress the gasket to the head, and to tighten the nuts on the studs and install the bolts, tightening in a cross-wise pattern. Great! But how the heck do you push the pump up far enough to even get the bolts into the threads? Previously I tightened the nut next to the timing belt, then put a cut-off broomstick in the inlet pipe and levered the pump up to compress the gasket, and tightened the nut near the inlet. None of the bolts line up at that point, so I back off the first nut and lever the pump the other way. But it's like shooting in the dark, and this time around I first broke the side out of the inlet (on a Hepu pump), then after buying a new (Gates) pump, broke the top bolt off.

So I gotta be missing soimething. How do you "push" the pump to compress the gasket against the head, while also getting the bolts aligned for tightening?

I just did an 86 245. I had a similar issue, its a tight fit particularly while trying to fit the heater tube and such in there. I put the pump on the bolts, then inserted the heater tube. then pushed it back onto the engine. now is a good time to install two washers and nuts onto the bolts sticking out of the engine. once they are semi finger tight, wedge the water pump up and seat the top seal. take your time and put the new bolts in and crank them down gradually, in other words dont install one and tighten it down all the way then move to the next one. do each one bit by bit...

Hope that helps, but im in Sonoma CA. Pm me if you need and i might be able to come give you a hand if your santa rosa local..

Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the offer BBMan. I got it done, with the help of my wife who used the rest of the aforementioned broomstick wedged under the pump, pivoting on the power steering pulley to lift the pump, while I also lifted the short piece of broomstick in the inlet pipe. Got the bolts in and tightened progressively. All back together now and no leaks. I'll check again after a good long drive tomorrow, but for now everything looks good.