Basic maintenance for 940

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic maintenance for 940

Hello, I'm new to the Volvo forum. I come with very little knowledge about cars or Volvos. I've been impressed in reading through the threads how helpful people are and how much knowledge is disseminated on this board.

I bought a 1995 volvo sedan 940 with 150K a couple of years ago (it now has 167K) and have loved this car from day 1. It has given me very little problems and I have not done much to maintain it outside of changing the oil every 3K and replacing the tires/battery as needed.

The more I've been reading about this car recently, the more excited I am about trying to keep this thing going as long as I can. From reading this forum, it's not unreasonable to think that I could have it moving well for 300K+ miles if I take care of it. Reading through this forum, it sounds like many of you do your own maintenance on your cars out of love for working on them. I love bikes and like working on them, but I don't have the desire or patience to pick up the skills that it would take to fix my own vehicle. I would prefer to take my car to a mechanic. Keeping a budget in mind, I'd like to stay up on all of the routine maintenance issues that will keep this car running smoothly for the next 100K+ miles.

I've gone through all the old records from the previous owner and compiled a list of things that I think this car may need, but I don't know how crucial each one is, and whether or not I'm missing other important issues.

The things that have been done recently on this car:
-water pump and timing belt changed at 130K & 160K miles
-Fuel injection treatment, power steering fluid and Rack & pinion changed at 110K
-Rear break pads and rotos replaced at 150K
-Front break pads and rotos changed at 137K
-Wheels aligned at 133K
-Alternator belt installed at 130K

Things that may need maintenance soon:
- transmission filter (manual says change every 60K)
- spark plugs
- fuel filter
- coolant flush
- brake fluid flush and power steering fluid flush
-professional fuel injection service
- throttle bore plate cleaning
- air introduction service

I don't know what a lot of these services or terms are referring to, and I'm not sure how enthusiastic I should be about doing preventative maintenance since that car has been running so smoothly since I bought it 2 years ago. From the list of possible maintenance issues that I have listed, do you think I should have all of those services as soon as possible, or are there things that I should just wait until a problem arises. Am I missing other important issues that will keep this car healthy? Thank you in advance, Michael