battery grounding bolt replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery grounding bolt replacement?

I was doing some much needed upkeep on my battery (cleaning/refilling cells) and I went to remove the battery contact grounding bolt and it snapped right off.

Name:  IMG_0627.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  236.1 KB

This is a top down view of the bolt that broke.

Name:  IMG_0623.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  207.6 KB

Here is a close up with the camera sitting on the battery holder.

Name:  IMG_0626.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  168.9 KB

I pulled the drivers side headlight off thinking I might be able to reach my hand back there and replace the bolt but that's not the case. Should I just use a different grounding point? I have yet to deep dive into my manual to see where to get at this bolt, I figured I would get some opinions on it first.

Last edited by lelcat; 05-02-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: misinformation
Old 05-02-2016, 01:06 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the back side of that bolt is probably between the fender and inner liner, I doubt there's any easy way to access it short of removing the fender.

dribble Kroil (aka aeroKroil) on the bolt threads, give it plenty of time to penetrate (like hours of time, even overnight, dribbling a bit more on every so often), then drill the center of the bolt with a smaller left-hand-thread (eg, reverse twist) drill bit, with your drill in 'reverse' and low speed, that alone might get the bolt out, otherwise, try an 'eazy-out', very carefully (use the proper size left hand drill bit for the size easy out you'll end up using).

Old 05-07-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
the back side of that bolt is probably between the fender and inner liner, I doubt there's any easy way to access it short of removing the fender.

dribble Kroil (aka aeroKroil) on the bolt threads, give it plenty of time to penetrate (like hours of time, even overnight, dribbling a bit more on every so often), then drill the center of the bolt with a smaller left-hand-thread (eg, reverse twist) drill bit, with your drill in 'reverse' and low speed, that alone might get the bolt out, otherwise, try an 'eazy-out', very carefully (use the proper size left hand drill bit for the size easy out you'll end up using).
Thanks Pierce. I am going to give this a shot. Will PB Blaster work as a substitute for Kroil? I already have some so it would be easier.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:53 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

yeah, us Kroil fans allow as how PB Blaster is 2nd best.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:06 PM

I just wanted to give this thread an update on the progress of this bolt stud. I spent most of the day working on this thing with multiple failed attempts at using easy outs. It seems that the hole I drilled was not deep enough for the easy outs to work properly. It seems like I can't drill past a certain point regardless of the quality of bits I am using. (I ended up getting titanium)

I did not have any left handed drill bits handy so I drilled with regular bits. I removed any debris and oiled the bit every so often. This thing will not move. I decided to just go with advice from a neighbor and abandon the bolt for now. I used a screw that was nearby for the grounding point instead. (it was used to hold up a wire management bracket).

This has been largely a wasteful endeavor but I may try to have another go at it in the future. I might need more power (perhaps from a corded rill) or I might need to elevate the strategy to drilling it out completely and re threading it. I thank you for the help though :]