Grounding Problem Instruments

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding Problem Instruments

hi,
i believe i have a grounding problem with the instruments/lighting switch/turn signals.

with light switch on the 'off' position and turn signal 'on' the fuel gauge needle moves with the clicking of the turn signal flasher. fuel gauge gives correct fuel level in gas tank (i hope).
with the light switch on the 'on' position, the fuel gauge needle goes to full and with the turn siganl 'on', the fuel gauge needle moves with the clicking of the turn signal flasher.

does the in-tank fuel pump/tank sender have a ground and where is it?

where should i start troubleshooting?

car is a '86 740 station wagon

thanks again

Old 08-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Grounding Problem Instruments

I think you are right. Volvo wiring diagrams tell you where every ground on the car is located. Kinda pricey at $27 but worth it. Best wiring diagrams I have ever seen.

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....tion=home.main

Old 09-09-2006, 05:40 AM

hi everyone,
just an update to my electric problem.
it just dissappeared.
i had checked all the grounds from the engine bay to the footwells to the rear of the car. everything was fine and well connected. verified all the fuses and relais.
there was just one ground wire i really didn't know where it was attached--sowewhere under the carpet of the left rear wheel well. it came together with cabling from the gas tank. i fiddled the wire a little and left it at that.
then i finished up the new cabling for the amplifiier in the back of the car.
the next day no more shorting of the instruments (fuel, temp gauge, bilinkers). everything was back to normal! another thing i noticed that there was no more bucking of the car on low fuel level. in other words my in tank fuel pump must be working corrrectly now.
conclusion my ground problem was probably with the in tank fuel pump and level sensor. bad ground. my fiddling of the above mentioned ground wire must have fixed the problem.
[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 10-07-2006, 04:48 PM

just to bring up this post again.
i definitely found the problem.
yesterday while driving my fuel gauge started playing tricks again. i took out the instrument panel and found a loose contact plug. it's the one on the left back behind the clock.
somehow it had loosened itself. pushed it in once more and put some heavy duty tape on it and now everything is back to normal again!
[sm=groupwave.gif]

'86 740gl