Bleeder screw snapped

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeder screw snapped

I recently had to replace my brake master cylinder on my 1990 240 for state inspection. Got the new one in and started bleeding the brakes. Long story short a bleeder screw broke off in the front drivers side caliper. I'm going to try and remove the piece that broke off in the caliper and I REALLY don't want to have to buy four new calipers (all bleeders are missing their caps so they probably are all plugged and/or seized).

So I've been looking for a set of new bleeder screws to replace all of the ones currently on the car. I believe my brakes are a Girling setup with three bleeders per front caliper, and one per rear. Problem is that I can't get a straight answer on which sizes I need (there seem to be three different ones). So which ones are the correct sizes for my brake system?

Also want to double check my bleeding order. Looked around online (lost my Haynes manual somewhere) and this is what I came up with:
Rear Driver Side
Front Driver Side Upper
Front Pass Side Upper
Rear Pass Side
Front Driver Side Outer
Front Driver Side Lower
Front Pass Side Outer
Front Pass Side Lower

Old 11-04-2012, 02:41 PM

I just had the same thing happen on my 1993 240 wagon. Fortunately mine snapped before it opened so it's not leaking, haven't decided what to do yet. I think I should be able to get the old screw out (hopefully), fortunately the calipers aren't god awful expensive (did my wife's Kia van and it was ridiculous), I personally don't think you would need to replace all four, probably just the front as a pair - not sure what everyone else thinks about that.

Here is what the Haynes manual says about the bleeding order:

Left Rear
Left Front Caliper, upper-inner bleed screw
Right Front Caliper, upper-inner bleed screw
Right Rear
Right Front, outer bleed screw
Right Front, lower-inner
Left Front, outer
Left Front, lower-inner

Also says to bleed front outer and lower inner as a pair and then left outer and lower inner as a pair.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Yeah. The screw that broke on mine came out maybe a tenth of a turn and then snapped. It was the driver side upper-inner. The drivers side rear bleeder was bent slightly, but loosened normally and doesn't leak. I'm going to try and take the broken one out with an easy out once I get the caliper off. Shouldn't be too hard. Before I even start that I want to have the new bleeders on hand. But like I said, I don't know which size to buy.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 AM

The front Girling caliper takes a 1/4"-28 x 15/16"

Should be able to get them at any auto part store, only a couple bucks. I saw a "trick" online to take an drill bit and turn it by hand to get it out, not sure if it will work, I might try it though. Mine were pretty corroded and rustyish.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Craftsman makes a screw extraction kit. I bought one as a last resort years ago, and it's my go-to widget now. The heart of the kit is different sizes of left-hand drill bits. Use a reversible drill in low-speed "reverse" to turn the bits and extractors. Soak the works with Kroil first, then have at it.

Success, Bro.

Lynn B.