Broken key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken key in ignition

Can the lock tumbler be removed on an 88 240? I broke a new garbage dealership Ilco key off in the ignition. The rest of the key will not fit in to start the car. The steering column is locked. I have called many many locksmiths. They all say that they cannot remove the key "a Volvo is just too complicated" or "I don't do them". I can remove the ignition from the steering column and replace one from the junk yard, but I really do not want to do that. I will need to drill out the sheer bolts on the ignition and wrestle around with removing the ignition from the dash. OR I could possibly remove the tumbler. This seems like the ticket. How do I remove the tumbler. Remember the key will not fit in and the steering wheel is locked. This Has become an overcomplicated mess. I am stressed to the max. I would almost rather replace something more complicated like the cylinder head. This lock is a real S.O.B. H E L P!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just how far below surface level is the actual break? When it's right at the surface, I've used small picks w/ some success. If deeper there isn't much else to do put pull it. I'm pretty sure you can not pull the cylinder w/o having the entire column locking assembly loose. I have a spare one in my garage I can dig out in the a.m. and look at it closer

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not had a key break, but would a Neodymium magnet not work in this situation?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ilco keys are made of brass, so a magnet won't pull it. I actually just tested it (I thought the same thing TIPSP). The original key is steel for Volvo and Honda. But all the Ilco replacement ones are brass with a nickel plating. I would get a good hard pick. It might even chew into the brass a little.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just remember, selecting the proper tool will assure a proper outcome................

Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by TIPSP
I have not had a key break, but would a Neodymium magnet not work in this situation?
Haha i would have just guess going to walmart and finding the strongest magnet they had

Old 04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Default Should be a recall issue

Hi. This issue should be of the recall variety. I brought my 2008 XC90 to the dealer today for another issue. I sat in the waiting room for 30 min when the service man approached me and asked me if my ignition had ever locked up before. I said no and tried to turn the key myself. Completely locked. The service rep said "I know what it is" as his wife in her Volvo had recently had the same problem. He explained the ignition has a locking mechanism that sometimes freezes in place. The column needs to be dissembled to remove the mechanism. He told me 5-7 biz days to get the factory to custom build me a new one before he can drive the car to diagnose the problem I originally came in for. They won't give me a loaner or rent me a car despite the fact that this issue is "under warranty." I'm very disenchanted with Volvo as, given that this issue has occurred in Volvos time and time again, there has been no recall. I'm shocked that you had to pay for the fix.Please pursue recompense thru Volvo. I will-for my car rental!!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 AM

Diane, I wouldn't even give that dealer my business; that's absurd.
To the OP, I'm not farmiliar with the 88 but on later models, its not just the lock cylinder that needs replacing, its a whole assembly. I'll post photos of the internals when I get to a computer, I'm on my Blackberry now.
They'll give you an idea, looks like a real bear...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 PM

That's before laser cut ignitions, so your locksmiths are little girls.

Take your pick:
Lock Picks - Locksmith Tools and Equipment - BROKEN KEY TOOLS

Old 04-02-2016, 01:52 AM

Tonight I found out that the key broke off in my ignition. I am still able to start the car, but I cannot open up my trunk of course.Then i googled and find Locksmith boca raton and they made me comfortable by resolving my problem.