Buying New Car or Used

Old 11-17-2006, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying New Car or Used

Basically, my room mate is looking to buy a new car. He needs to save money. He is looking for an A to B car. He is in college and would have to pay his own insurance and car price also. What would be the most cost effective solution? I'm looking at the total cost involved. Insurance and everything. If I were to buy an older volvo, It probably wouldn't be worth it to insure the volvo itself, right? Just insure the other car in the accident. However if I got a new car, I would probably insure both my car and their car right? I'm just looking for a general idea which you would think would be cheaper in the overall run? Also, how often do Volvos with the 2.3 L engine tend to break? I'm fairly good with cars as far as working on them, and I could probably pick out a fairly good condition one. But, in yall's oppinion, how often do they tend to break? How much would I have to invest into the car to have a reliable daily driver? Between a 1988-1993 240 or 740 volvo and 2006 Honda Civic, which would cost more over the span of 5 years? 10 years?

Old 11-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Buying New Car or Used

basically you're talking about liability vs. comprehensive insurance right? Liability which would cover the car you hit or comprehensive to cover both. if you buddy is a broke college student he'll be able to afford liabilty well before comprehenssive...which is fine, just don't wreck the car. A 2006 Civic on the other hand....well, a bank is going to most likely require comprehensive insurrance before they qualify your friend for a car loan.

Regarding reliability. In my experience Honda's and Volvo's are about the same. They don't break down that often and when they do gennerally they aren't that hard to fix yourself. (Especially with forums like this and Turbobricks around) The difference is that 8 times out of 10 the volvo will cost more to have fixed in a shop. There are occations where a Honda is going to put you back more...i.e. a $275 radiator for a Civic (seriously? It's so small...but OK)....but it doesn't happen offten. On that note, a 2006 Civic is going to have less maintenance required than a 1988-1993 Volvo just based on principle. Old cars need love, new cars give love.

I'd be surprised to see a college student pull off buying and insuring a newer car on his own but if he can, then more power to him. But I'm thinking he'll probably come closer to pulling off an older Volvo with liability only....or an older Honda....don't forget about that.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:06 AM

For what it's worth....Last year I purchased a very nice 95 940 4-door for $2800.00. It's a great car, put it on cruise control and it'll run the legal speed limit all day...and then some. The way I look at it a new econ-o-box of any brand will cost in the neighborhood of $18K to $20K, after you subtract the $2800.00 purchase price, I could drive a long time on the remaining $10K.

When I was your age, you wouldn't catch me Volvo. It was always a high performance car or some kind of hot rod. I still have my hot rod 56 Chevy, a performance car...a Volvo 940 wagon with a 5.0 Ford motor in it and of course my ever day 940 driver.

I like rear wheel drive cars, even here in New England where we get an average of 80 inches of snow, I will put snow tires on all four corners and not have a problem getting around. Regardless of front, rear or all, if you take your time and evaluate your choices, you will find a great Volvo that will last and last and last.

Wedwagon

Old 11-20-2006, 06:29 PM

940 wagon with a 5.0 Ford motor in it
not to post ***** here but...how are you liking that? I can't wait to get my 240 up and out of the garage! they're really making it easy now days with the converrssion kit from IPD aren't they?