A/C affecting power steering. Bad squealing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C affecting power steering. Bad squealing.

I have a problem and cannot seem to find a straight answer to what it could be. I have an 84 240 and whenever I turn on the A/C, I get a intermittent squeak from what I assume is the belt? I have new belts and good tension on all of them. The squeak doesn't bother me much, but where the problem really lies is that affects my steering. Whenever I'm in a parking lot or similar slow speed/tight turning situation with the A/C on, once I get about a full turn to a turn and a half of the steering wheel, I get a LOUD constant squealing and the wheel jerks and pulls the opposite way I'm steering. Steering also gets very hard to turn at this point which makes me think it's affecting the P/S pump, but I have no idea what could be the problem. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponzetti
I have a problem and cannot seem to find a straight answer to what it could be. I have an 84 240 and whenever I turn on the A/C, I get a intermittent squeak from what I assume is the belt? I have new belts and good tension on all of them. The squeak doesn't bother me much, but where the problem really lies is that affects my steering. Whenever I'm in a parking lot or similar slow speed/tight turning situation with the A/C on, once I get about a full turn to a turn and a half of the steering wheel, I get a LOUD constant squealing and the wheel jerks and pulls the opposite way I'm steering. Steering also gets very hard to turn at this point which makes me think it's affecting the P/S pump, but I have no idea what could be the problem. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Your PS pump attaches to your AC
your AC attached to your crank shaft

if the AC belt is loose so is your PS pump
if your bushings on either of the 2 are old they both squeak

check from the side to make sure all of your pulls line up as this is common