Car just shut off..check engine light on now!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car just shut off..check engine light on now!!

I was driving my 91 740 turbo and it just shut off all by itsself....i stoped then i started it right up and go it home. Now the check engine light is on. I dont hear any wierd noises comming form the car....what the heck is this? Help!!! Thanks!

Old 08-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Default RE: Car just shut off..check engine light on now!!

Hey Colgate, I guess your earlier problem has progressed a little eh? Did anything noticeable happen just before? Did it sputter like it was out of gas, and then just cut off? The good news is that now you have a trouble code stored in your computer that can be checked by the friendly guys at Autozone. Chances are, this problem, and the one before are related. Go to Autozone and get the Trouble code, and that will tell you what area of the car/engine is acting up. Post the code here.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:59 PM

Hey, thanks. I was driving and i took my foot off the gas for 5 sec, then when i went to give it gas it was already off. Question...will autozone really do that? And how much does it cost? Thanks for your help!

Old 08-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Pull the codes your self follow link to learn how.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

Old 08-27-2005, 01:28 PM

ok..so i fooled around with the fuses....i jsut basicaly pulled the whole thing out then put it back. And now the check engine light is no longer on. wierd.

Old 08-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Yes it is but you should have pulled the codes first to see what they were.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Right on Tech. Being somewhat ignorant about volvos, I wasn't sure if there was a method for pulling codes that way. Thanks man, more knowledge for me.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:50 PM

And, yes, Autozone will pull the code for free. You can look it up, or post it here, and someone will ID the code for you. When your car shuts off like that, and you get a check engine light, your car's computer has acknowledged and ID'd something wrong with your car's systems. It creates a Trouble Code, and throws a Check Engine light on for you. As long as that light is on, you can check to see what the trouble code is, and hopefully with that, you can isolate the problem, or at least a symptom of the real problem. When you pull the fuse for the light, you have basically just reset the computer, so the code is "probably" lost for now, and won't reappear until you have that problem again. I'd still get it checked at Autozone, sometimes computers store these codes in a history file that can be accessed. I'm not sure if their scanners will access that code unless it's a current code though. Good luck, friend.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: matthewensey

And, yes, Autozone will pull the code for free. You can look it up, or post it here, and someone will ID the code for you. When your car shuts off like that, and you get a check engine light, your car's computer has acknowledged and ID'd something wrong with your car's systems. It creates a Trouble Code, and throws a Check Engine light on for you. As long as that light is on, you can check to see what the trouble code is, and hopefully with that, you can isolate the problem, or at least a symptom of the real problem. When you pull the fuse for the light, you have basically just reset the computer, so the code is "probably" lost for now, and won't reappear until you have that problem again. I'd still get it checked at Autozone, sometimes computers store these codes in a history file that can be accessed. I'm not sure if their scanners will access that code unless it's a current code though. Good luck, friend.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: matthewensey

But he has OBDI most Autozones don't know how to pull the codes on the OBDI cars.
Thats why I posted the link so he can learn how to do it himself.

Old 08-28-2005, 04:42 AM

Good call, Tech. The more you can do yourself to learn it, the better off you are. Right on, friend.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:58 PM

I'm having the same problem with my '93 940 Turbo. I keep getting the same code...144. Still unable to eliminate the problem. Much help here, though. Appreciate all the suggestions. Let me know if you find a solution. I will do the same for you.

Ken

Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 AM

That's a fuel system load code. Based on the code, it sounds like fuel isn't being supplied to your engine. Check your fuel pump relay, and if that's A-OK, check your fuel pump. I know my fuel pump buzzes loudly when I start my car, LOL. Let us know what you find!

Matthew

Old 09-08-2005, 08:27 PM

I can hear the fuel pump operate when I turn the ignition to on. I have replaced the fuel pump relay. Is it possible that the fuel pump would stop, then work? Have you heard of fuel pumps just quitting intermittently? I have spent hundreds of dollars "trying" different repairs with no success.

Ken

Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

It is possible it works sometimes and other times not.

Not sure about the code 144= Load signal missing or absent.
Check all wiring connections really good.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:57 PM

This may sound strange, but some ECM's from 89 to 92 I think had a problem, they had a circuit grounding internally.That circuit was for the fuel pump. People were getting this code a lot for a while, with your problems. The last 3 digits on the ecm that had the problem were 561. Worth a look, and investigating it is free. :-)

Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM

My ECU# ends in 937. I already replaced the ECU with another (used) one. Problem occurred with each.

Ken

Old 09-09-2005, 12:42 AM

This is what I was told by a friend who had the same problem:

"After replacing a dozen parts from the junkyard I finally narrowed it down to the thermostat that takes preheated air from a shroud around the exhaust system that is used to heat the intake air when the engine is cold. This thermostat (and the air deflector mechanism that it physically moves) lives in the air intake box under the air filter.
The problem occurs when the thermostat is defective and stays in the preheated air position (or dosen't completely close off the preheated air source). After the engine is hot it keeps sending hot air into the intake and the Air Mass Meter gets cooked, which screws up the mixture so much that the engine can barely run.
You can verify that this is your problem by unpluging the A.M.M. This puts the computer into a "limp home" mode. If the engine returns to a normal idle with the A.M.M. unplugged, then you know that the A.M.M. is way too hot from the preheated air and malfunctioning (or that it has finally dies completely if the engine wont run correctly when first started when cold). A quick fix is to remove the aluminum feeder tube from the exhaust shroud and see if the problem goes away."

Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 PM

Colgate,

Have you had any luck solving your engine stoppage issue? I have had no luck here. I have replaced the ECU, Fuel Pump Relay, Radio Noise Supressor Relay, Speed Sensor, Ignition Module, and cleaned all the grounds. Engine still shuts down without warning, and happening a lot more often now...about once every other day. I checked with a local Volvo dealer asking about service bulletins regarding this problem. Unfortunately, there are none. I have a few other ideas that I have collected from others, including some on this forum. I will let you know if I have any success. Please do the same for me. Good luck.

Ken S.