check engine light on '92 240!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light on '92 240!

Hello Volvo enthusiasts! OK so I'll be driving my 1992 Volvo 240 sedan and it just cuts off on me. Everything electrical stays on. It's just the engine. Another thing too is it'll start sputtering on me before it dies. I'll be mashing the gas and it'll get the gas and then it won't and then it will and then it won't. It's just like somewhere in the car is not wanting to give the engine gas. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Also my check engine light is on. Anyone know how to check it on this vehicle? Thanks!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Default RE: check engine light on '92 240!

dude look around....all the info you need is here on the forum. Look around just a little and you will find how to check the codes, what the mean, and why your car is stalling. It sounds like the car is not getting fuel which can be anything from a relay, to the fuel filter, to the pressure reguator. Since it is cutting off while you drive I would guess the fuel filter is clogged or the regulator is gone bad. Does it start back up after it stalls? Mine usedto do that when the tank got low. It was the pressure regulator as well as the aux. pump was weak.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:01 AM

If you can hear a minute click when you turn the key to the on position but notengaing the starter, then your pump is working. I would look to the fuel pump relay which is one of the big fuses behind the ashtray. you have to remove the cigerate lighter plate to access it easily. I would also look to the fuel pressure regulator. and the vacumn hoses on the fuel system.

A 92 should be OBD1 there should be a small black box over the drivers side strut tower. It consists of a diode that flashes lights. you place the diode into slots 2 and 6 and then count the flashes. the codes are in a sequence of 3. come back with the codes or go to the british colombia volvo club forums and search for codes.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 PM

I remember mashing the gas too on my 86 240. Same go-stop bucking. Turned out to be the air mass flow sensor. You should have a built in engine diagnostic unit that, when activated, gives light flashes in a simple code. The unit is a located around the drivers side strut tower. Maybe check out the search engine at the top of this page with keyword "diagnostic codes" for past posts. Cheers.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Just wanted to let you guys now I think it turned out to be the fuel filter. I waited about two years to replace it. I had it replaced in 2005, and I went back last year to get the car tuned up. The guy tells me I can replace the fuel filter if I really want to but it doesn't really need it just yet. So I decide not to spend money I don't have to if that's what he says. And he's a good mechanic. The car went almost another year before I started noticing this problem. So I went to get it tuned up again this year and figured I'd replace the fuel filter this time. So he installs it, goes to start up the car, and it doesn't start. He tells me it's common with a brand new fuel filter which I'm sure most of you understand. That's when it hits me that maybe I had a clogged fuel filter since it was already two years old. Ever since I changed the fuel filter my check engine light went off, and I haven't had the starting problem since. But thanks for the help from all of you! Just wanted to let you know what the problem was and to keep a clean fuel filter.