The cocked compressor issue- my solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cocked compressor issue- my solution

I recently threw down some money to replace the major components of the AC system on my 1988 240DL wagon.

Since it had the original R12 system, I purchased a new AC compressor, expansion device, receiver/drier, and all new o-rings. This was converted to R134A.

After the compressor was remounted, belt attached and adjusted, I noticed that the compressor was noticeably cocked to one side. It did not make much sense, so I started to scour the web for information on this dilemma.

I did not come up with much information, other than potential worn out bushings, on the mounts, so I started with that, and ordered some from IPD. The mounting bracket was removed with relative ease, and the process of removing the old bushings began. On a side note, I found that the easiest way to remove these old bushings, was to simply take a pair of diagonal cutting pliers, and start cutting the lip of the bushing off. Once I did a couple and got in the rhythm, it went pretty easy. Once you get most of the lip cut away, simply smack the bushing out with a piece of wood dowel and a mallet. The new ones went in, with no hassle, because I used another persons advice, and ordered a couple tubes of marine grade grease to lube them up, then simply pushed them in, using a block of wood. The marine grease was ordered from IPD as well; it comes in plastic syringes, and that makes it so much easier to use.

Bushings changed out, mounting bracket replaced, compressor put back on. Same problem!

As you can see in the provided picture, the ac compressor is secured below with 2 bolts, and above with 2 bolts. On the top side of the compressor, the front bracket is your adjustment bracket, with the long threaded bolt, to rotate the compressor so that the belt can be tightened and loosened. The bracket on the top side of the compressor, closest to the firewall, is not the same; it allows the compressor to rotate, as you are tightening or loosening the front adjustment bolt, and you simply tighten the carriage bolt (on this rear bracket,) once you have it where you want it.

I ended up going to the junkyard, and taking a front adjustable ac bracket off another 240, and attached it in place of the stock, rear ac bracket. Things are a little tight, but I assure you, it wiggles in there with no problem. Once it is connected, you have a fully adjustable front and back ac bracket, and you can use your 10 mm socket to adjust the front and back, and get the compressor in a perfectly straight alignment.

The cocked compressor issue- my solution-240-compressor.jpg