Coolant flush and radiator hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant flush and radiator hose replacement

I plan on changing out the coolant in my 240 this weekend. While at it, I plan on replacing the lower radiator hose as well (upper was done 4 years ago while replacing the thermostat).

After reading some of the older threads, here's what I plan on doing:
1. Remove the lower radiator hose and let it drain out.
2. Replace the hose and fill system with about 2.25 gallons of distilled water.
3. Drive around with heater on and thermostat open.
4. Drain and refill with distilled water again.
5. Drain and then refill with Zerex G05.

I don't plan on touching the drain bolt on the block. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 05-25-2018, 12:41 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

No need to use distilled water for flush. If you won't open the block plug, better flush the system 2-3 times with water, may be a flush agent of some sort, to get all the old coolant out...

Old 05-27-2018, 06:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this same thing yesterday after replacing my water pump and radiator. Regular water can be used for the flushing, And I agree, if you are not draining the block run a couple or three or four cycles of water through the system. I like the Zerex G05 as well. I use it in all my older iron block aluminum head cars. Coolant is pretty inexpensive and I would change it again at the beginning of a new season. Then replace with your favorite ration 50/50 or 75/25 coolant to distilled water.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:35 PM

Been doing what you guys are saying. On my 3rd set of water and will probably do one more fill and drain with water later today. It's still light green.

Tomorrow morning, Zerex G05 goes in. It looks like the system capacity is about 2.4 gallons and I seem to be getting about 1.5 gallons with each drain and fill out of the lower radiator hose.
Is just one fill with 1.5 gallons of Zerex G05 sufficient? Because that would mean about 1 gallon of distilled water will be in there. I plan on doing another drain and fill of 1.5 gallons during end of summer before the car goes in storage for the winter.

Side note: That hose just blasts water everywhere. I would have preferred a drain at the bottom of the radiator, like the later P80 cars.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:13 PM

So it took 4 drain and refills to get the water coming out to me almost natural.
Would have preferred to do one more just to be sure, but I ran out of time.

I got about 1.8 gallons of the G05 stuff in there.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:46 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

on my similar vintage Mercedes, they recommend doing a 'citrus flush' every few years to remove lime and rust from the cooling path.

also remember to fully open your heater valve before servicing the coolant, there's probably a gallon in the heater...

Old 05-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by pierce
on my similar vintage Mercedes, they recommend doing a 'citrus flush' every few years to remove lime and rust from the cooling path.

also remember to fully open your heater valve before servicing the coolant, there's probably a gallon in the heater...
Yep, did the turn on the blower to 4 and have the heater blender slid all the way to full heat with each drain and refill. I also drove about 20-30 mins after each refill to ensure that the coolant was circulating through the system and heater core.

I believe I am not getting the whole 2.4 gallons out because I did not open the drain on the side of the block?

I did that citrus flush on my '82 300D when I had it couple of years ago. I might give that a shot next year....

Old 07-20-2018, 09:47 AM

Good morning,
In my '95 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon, noticed a coolant leak. Just had a new radiator installed about 300 miles ago. Discovered the culprit....upper hose to radiator split. Why they didn't replace the hose when installed, I just don't know! My son cut the hose and tightened it. Have ordered a new hose. Is it difficult to replace this hose? Our son is very busy and I don't want to push a lot of work on him!
Thank-you for any information!

Old 07-20-2018, 10:21 AM
lev

Easiest hose in the world to replace, an untrained monkey can do it! It's not mandatory to replace the hoses when changing a radiator unless they are obviously bad.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A prevailing approach in the car repair business is to limit the replacement components to those that need changing at the time of the service. This approach is brought on by suspicious customers who think that the shop is trying to push other work on them when it is suggested that the hoses be replaced with the radiator.

Since many people run to Yelp! every time something doesn't go their way, I've seen shops who make a list of "required" versus "recommended" repairs and want the customer to sign off before the job is done.

Most people chose the minimum and end up with another issue a few months later because they didn't want to pursue the "recommended" list, so they spent the incremental savings on a tow truck and another diagnostic charge.

People are their own worst enemy.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the info. ! Hubby said they should have changed it, however, the new guy who put the radiator in did not notice how old the hose was and tightened and summarily split it. Just thankful that it did not blow on the freeway!! I'm at 221k on this car and plan to keep it for a long time by taking the best care of it that I can !!

Old 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
lev

Originally Posted by tony1963
A prevailing approach in the car repair business is to limit the replacement components to those that need changing at the time of the service. This approach is brought on by suspicious customers who think that the shop is trying to push other work on them when it is suggested that the hoses be replaced with the radiator.

Since many people run to Yelp! every time something doesn't go their way, I've seen shops who make a list of "required" versus "recommended" repairs and want the customer to sign off before the job is done.

Most people chose the minimum and end up with another issue a few months later because they didn't want to pursue the "recommended" list, so they spent the incremental savings on a tow truck and another diagnostic charge.

People are their own worst enemy.

Spoken as a true mechanic shop owner, woe is me. I bet for every repair needed but rejected by the owner, there is a hundred things done that did't need doing but were "recommended" to a gullible driver! Not to mention all the services paid for but never actually performed by shops... Since starting in the car business in 1972, I've seen a lot.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

lev - I'm not sure what your problem is with me, but I sold the repair side of my business back in 2011 for a substantial profit. I don't have to do anything anymore if I don't want to but the retail side of the car business I still enjoy.

Back in the day, we did required and recommended repairs or the customer could go somewhere else. I had a very busy shop and never scammed anyone. We did good work.

I know that many owners that I've discussed are concerned with approaching the "recommended" list as it adds to the cost. People shop price and if you have a list of recommended repairs you will not compete against one that just has the minimum.

At age 35 I was already "retired" so this is my second career, or third. Whatever problem you have with me, I would suggest that you get over it.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Pete, I am fortunate to have a first cabin Subaru mechanic like you in Carson City NV. Unfortunately, he does not work on Volvo's!! I travel from Nevada to Ca. a lot...a good 200 miles each way. I would rather do an over-kill and make sure things are taken care of if suspicious or old, & replaced!! Our son is busy @ P G & E with lots of over-time and knows a lot, but not too familiar with my car. I know women are taken advantage of...a lot! Bottom line, I would much rather be safe than sorry, travelling alone!! Thanks again for your help!!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM
lev

Originally Posted by tony1963
lev - I'm not sure what your problem is with me, but I sold the repair side of my business back in 2011 for a substantial profit. I don't have to do anything anymore if I don't want to but the retail side of the car business I still enjoy.

Back in the day, we did required and recommended repairs or the customer could go somewhere else. I had a very busy shop and never scammed anyone. We did good work.

I know that many owners that I've discussed are concerned with approaching the "recommended" list as it adds to the cost. People shop price and if you have a list of recommended repairs you will not compete against one that just has the minimum.

At age 35 I was already "retired" so this is my second career, or third. Whatever problem you have with me, I would suggest that you get over it.

Tony1965, I am little perplexed by your post. I have not a clue who you are or why you'd think I have the slightest problem with you. I express my opinions as I have formed them over several decades in the car world/business. If this runs contrary to your easily damaged feelings, well, nothing I can do about that.