couple questions about 240.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions about 240.

So I've been driving my 1988 245 for about a year and a half now. It's been a trooper. All my friends are sick of me talking about my car, especially since they are making payments on their cars. And their cars aren't even as gangsta.

first issue:
I noticed a few months ago that there is a slight barely audible, but definitely real ticking noise. It's much more obvious when sitting in the passenger seat. When I've got the hood open and the engine is running, it's much easier to hear when I'm standing on the passenger side of the car. Just a constant ticking that follows the rpm of the engine. It might be nothing but I'd love to know what is making the noise. I keep reading about detonation and have NO idea what to listen for. It's not a ping though, just a ticking

Second issue I'm wondering about:
Sometimes after the car has reached its normal temperature, it has some slight hesitation on acceleration, especially if going up a hill, even slight inclines. I've looked everything over and can't really see anything that is out of order. Wondering if the o2 sensor needs changed. If you've got some suggestions, I'm all ears. If changing the o2 sensor is the most logical step, should I get the expensive bosch, or just the universal cheapo?

Thanks for all the help I've found here. Hope everyone's doing well.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Generally, light ticking that is rpm linked is valve train noise. B230's came from the factory with little top hats called valve hushers that sat on the end of the valve stems...they wear out and make a bit more noise. With high miles, comes wear on components that work like crazy! Cam lobes wear, the shims under them that are sized to adjust the valves can and do wear. Sometimes, just reshimming the cam will reduce valve train noise. If it's slight, and your car and motor are relatively high mileage, I'd leave it alone. Slightly loose valve train components, while not optimal, will hurt nothing.
The slight hesitation could be anything...dirty throttle body, air filter, gas filter, vac leak. Your 88 is LH2.2 means the timing is easily adjustable in the normal fashion, turning the distributor. I've never found a difference in brands on O2 sensors...but that's just me. I go with the lower priced universal units and splice them in. On cars that have 2 or more O2 sensors, then I do not mix brands...but the Volvo? Meh...I go cheap because I tend to trade them out a bit more often than most.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd check for vacuum hose leaks, make sure the air mass sensor is clean and its connector is clean and well seated... make sure ALL the wiring is in good shape around the engine control systems.

if that hesitation on acceleration up a hill comes with a mild 'crackling' sound, thats predetonation aka pinging, and maybe you need higher octane gas, the stuff they sell in the US these days is pretty crummy. the B230F engine on a late 80s 240 shouldn't need higher octane, but ya never know.

has the usual tuneup stuff been checked? clean air filter, clean undersides of the distributor cap and rotor, good spark plug wires, good plugs, etc etc ?