Cruise Control; Connecting the Vacuum Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control; Connecting the Vacuum Pump

Hello everyone. I’m in the process of trying to add cruise control to my ’91 240. I scavenged the parts from a ’91 wagon at a local bone yard and think I’m ready to proceed but have a few concerns. Here’s a link to a picture of everything I have. Does that look about right?

My concern is about how to hook up the vacuum pump. My car, not having cruise, is not pre-wired, so I removed the connection from the parts car (see picture below). I pulled the plug and traced the wire through the firewall and behind the dash. After arguing with the wiring harness for about an hour, I finally succeeded at removing what I think is all the wire I need to successfully connect and power the pump. What I wanna know is, do I have to hook this pump up as elaborately as it was on the original car, or is there an easier way? I mean, the wire came from the pump, passed through a connector and split up a few times. So, can someone help me figure out what to do? I’d really appreciate it.

Also, I checked the accelerator diaphragm (not sure of its proper name), brake pedal cut out valve and the vacuum tubing itself, and they all hold vacuum.

Thanks everybody

Last edited by J Dubb; 04-03-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Embedding photos instead of linking to URL.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You only need the pump running when teh cruise control is engaged, so I would run a relay to the cruise pump, activated when you power the cruise up with the on switch. I am sure teh pump will have some sort of cutout when it reaches a preset vacuum, or it will be designed to run continuously.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM

could i have a list of these parts? i am looking to do thisto my 92 240.

Any info you have would be very helpful

Which cars i can use as a donor
How hard is the install
where are the parts
does it work well

thanks

this would be a huge help

Old 08-06-2009, 05:13 PM

To tell you the truth, I never installed it. Now, it’s been so long since I scavenged the parts, I hardly remember where and how everything goes and right now, I don’t really have the time to figure it out. Many speak of how easy it is, but I couldn’t figure out the wiring as I’m not very electrically inclined, so to speak. It seems pretty straight forward, but I never understood how to power the vacuum pump, even with the aforementioned relay advice, nor could I figure out how to tie into the harness with the speedo connection… didn’t wanna tear up my car like I did the salvage one. Even further, I’m not even sure I’m gonna keep my 240. Sorry I couldn’t help. If you find out, please post. Good luck.