Dealer repair gone bad....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer repair gone bad....

I own a 1993 Volvo wagon. I had my airbag replaced by a Volvo Dealer. After the airbag was replaced the cruise control no longer worked and my high beams lever no longer clicked into the on position. The dealer said these break-downs were a coincidence and this coincidence will cost $1000 to fix. They said the servo for the cruise was bad and the high beams had relay issues. Considering both the cruise and high beam mechanisms are in the steering column, I have my doubts this is a coincidence. Can anyone help me sort this out?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Default RE: Dealer repair gone bad....

You entered this on last Thursday, has anything happened since? Concerning the problem you wrote about, I think there are two logical thoughts....one the Dealer is responsible for creating the problem. The second, if the car is driveable, it calls for a second opinion....assuming the Volvo Dealer isn't the only game in town.

Short story, on my 91 940 wagon, the rear wiper was dragging slowly across the rear window. Had the Volvo Dealer look at it, the service writer appeared at the door of the customer waiting room announced the wiper was toast. I ask the cost of the repairs, the $$$ costs were over the top. I told the service writer to for get it. That was 4 years ago, the wiper works like a charm...never misses a beat. My conclusion is that the wiper was bad...they replaced it before they had my authorization and then came for the money...I said no, what could they say at that point. The Service Writer is a commission sales person.....draw your own conclusion.

PM Tech with this problem, he's great in sorting out the mechanical side. Be sure to write an update when this does get sorted out.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a very touchy problem.
The Air bag replacement has nothing to do with either problems.
The Air bag is held to the steering wheel with 2 screws. It takes about 5-10 minutes to replace the air bag.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:24 PM

After reading Tech's assessment, I may have been too quick to bash the dealer service department. If that turns out to be the case then I'll be the first to say I'm sorry. But talking about coincidence.....

Wedwagon

Old 11-13-2006, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be to quick to aplogize for bashing the dealer. I had the same experience with my wipers -- I asked them the check out my front window wipers and they replaced them without authorization.

I didn't know service writer's were commission sales people.....that explains a lot. I originally took my car in for repair because the SRS light had been on for at least a year. The dealer said I needed a new airbag. They replaced it, but the SRS light would not stay off. After three return visits to the dealer they replaced the SRS harness. Now the SRS light stays off. Naturally I am wondering if the airbag needed to be replaced.

I do need to get my cruise working. I could use a referral in the Phoenix area.

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM

lol...SRS light....mines been on for 4 years because some jackass front ended my car in the parking lot...didn't even leave a note...jerk. Had a few places tell me the same thing. That the sensor in teh bumper had been pushed in about 40% setting off the sensor. $1600 to fix it...which needless to say I did not spend.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:00 PM

no coincidence, make them fix everything, talk to the manager, call volvo district manager or factory direct.